Other Newbie ready to try a red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillcapper

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first try at winemaking late last year turned out very well (thanks to some help from this forum). Did a Riesling (which we back sweetened, I gave into the wife) and we and others have thoroughly enjoyed it. I’m ready to try a red and am a big fan of most all varieties but particularly like some blends. I’m looking for suggestions on what to buy. Is it even a ‘thing’ to try and get a kit that is similar to a favorite brand?

Thanks in advance!

It's a 'thing' to make anything your heart desires! A lot of ideas come from commercial wines.

Finer Wine Kits, sold through LabelPeelers.com, has a selection of blends.

Where are you in NC? We have a Durham-based group purchase of CA grapes each fall, should you be interested in diving in deeper.

My plan for the fall is inspired by a Rob Roy Red by McGregor Winery (Finger Lakes NY), which is typically 50% Cabernet Franc, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 20% Merlot. For this fall the plan is two blends, roughly 60/20/20 of CF/CS/Merlot and CS/CF/Merlot.

There are more than a handful of kit blends that are based around "normal" blends found commercially, like Bordeaux-like blends, Super Tuscans, Southern Rhone blends (GSM). And yes, blends rule! :r
Agreed. I’ve tried the Wine Expert GSM blend and am pleasantly surprised. 7 months after bottling, the raspberry dominance has softened and very drinkable.

Also tried the FWK super Tuscan. Wow, first wine I’ve made where skins were added. It’s really good.

So to get more specific I’m a big fan of a couple of Apothic blends for an easy go to wine. Especially the Crush blend. Is their anything from a kit perspective that would put me in that neighborhood?

It's a 'thing' to make anything your heart desires! A lot of ideas come from commercial wines.

Finer Wine Kits, sold through LabelPeelers.com, has a selection of blends.

Where are you in NC? We have a Durham-based group purchase of CA grapes each fall, should you be interested in diving in deeper.

My plan for the fall is inspired by a Rob Roy Red by McGregor Winery (Finger Lakes NY), which is typically 50% Cabernet Franc, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 20% Merlot. For this fall the plan is two blends, roughly 60/20/20 of CF/CS/Merlot and CS/CF/Merlot.
I’m in Statesville, north of Charlotte. I definitely want to get that deep at some point but maybe not there yet. Need some more equipment for that, which is a good excuse to buy come cool stuff!

So to get more specific I’m a big fan of a couple of Apothic blends for an easy go to wine. Especially the Crush blend. Is their anything from a kit perspective that would put me in that neighborhood?

Look into the WineExpert Reserve Luna Rossa Kit. I haven't made it for several years, but it is a generally nice subdued red wine. the RJ Spagnols Cru Select Rosso Grande is probably a similar kind of wine.

Agreed. I’ve tried the Wine Expert GSM blend and am pleasantly surprised. 7 months after bottling, the raspberry dominance has softened and very drinkable.

Also tried the FWK super Tuscan. Wow, first wine I’ve made where skins were added. It’s really good.
I’m looking hard at the FWK Super Tuscan for my first red. I‘ve tried a couple Super Tuscan type blends and I’m a big fan of Sangiovese and Cabernet in general so I liked them. Did you do the the single skin pack or double? How long did you age in the bottle? Can you give me a quick description of how it turned out? Sorry for all the questions!
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back