Cellar Craft Recommend a White

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis

spreadsheet wrangler
Reaction score
White Wine Recommendations

In partial response to the current "Red Wine Recommendations" thread (which has given me some good ideas!), I thought I should post a similar one for whites, and for the same reason. I almost never drink whites unless someone else brings them to a party or they're free at a tasting or whatever. I don't have much against them, just prefer reds. I'd like to have a good batch of one on hand though, in case of guests or seafood. Any suggestions for a particular kit?

Last edited:
Travis, this may be a little controversial, but I have had very good results from two of the Cellar Craft Premium line; specifically the Sauvignon Blanc and the Chardonnay/Semillon. They are a 16 liter kit and are priced about $50 less than the Cellar Craft Showcase line. I hasten to point out that I think the Cellar Craft Showcase line is excellent, but for these two whites, I think they are a great value.

Rocky, nice find. I made both the WE LE Sav. Blanc/Semillon and CC LR Sav. Blanc/Chardonnay/Semillon and I like both of them a lot. I am thinking of buying both the kits you mention and blending.
I really don't have any suggestions since the whites I have made so far are either mist kits or Limited editions.

How did your CC LR Sauv Blanc/Sem/Chard turnout? I just pitched the yeast today on mine. Sorta forget it was in the back of the winery all Summer so I am trying to get caught up on Kits I have had around the house for the last 6 mo or so.

Still trying to figure out what to top off that guy with. I decided to add ~1/2 of the F-pack into the Primary.

How did your CC LR Sauv Blanc/Sem/Chard turnout? I just pitched the yeast today on mine. Sorta forget it was in the back of the winery all Summer so I am trying to get caught up on Kits I have had around the house for the last 6 mo or so.

Still trying to figure out what to top off that guy with. I decided to add ~1/2 of the F-pack into the Primary.
Hi Mike. At 3 months the Sav. Blanc. is dominating with that steely grassiness that I like. The apple from the chardonnay is slight while the semillon is adding a nice mouthfeel at this point. When I put it into the rotation at one year, I am sure the honey note of the semillon as well as more presence from the chardonnay will be there. I topped off with my We le Sav blanc/semillon and a commercial unoaked chardonnay. This should have been pretty close.

I personally love Rieslings.
Tom, I just purchased the Eclipse Riesling during the Cyber monday sale. I can't wait to see how this turns out. What riesling kits have you made that you like?

The only white I have made so far is the RJS Cru Select RQ Hang Ten Muscat Symphony Sauvignon Blanc Chardonnay which is quite nice at 6 months. It is a restricted quantity kit any may be hard to find now. It came in #96 in the top 100 Winemaker mag listing of kits.

I just brought in off the front porch a CC Showcase Yakima Valley Pinot Gris which I got in the FVW 12 days of Christmas sale. It came in #8 in the WM listing but it will be 6 months or more before I know how I like it.

The favourite white wine in our family is the Ken Ridge Showcase German Gewurztraminer. (FYI, we add the Suss Reserve pack to the primary and make it as a dry G'wine.) But there's lots of other good whites outthere.

Steve

Tom, I just purchased the Eclipse Riesling during the Cyber monday sale. I can't wait to see how this turns out. What riesling kits have you made that you like?

I've never made wine from kits, but I've used the Alexander's concentrates. I made the Johannisburg Riesling a few years ago, and just bottled a regular Riesling. I think I made this one a little too strong at 12% ABV, because the alcohol flavor kind of overpowers the flavor of the Riesling grapes. Next one I make will be about 10-11%.

Latest posts

Back