Real port wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almarques7

Junior
Reaction score
Want to get into some port wine this year and fortify it with brandy. Any knowledge from anyone would be great, what type of grapes? what percentage of brandy to wine? at what brix do you fortify the wine? Thanks guys appreciate the info.

Sorry I can't help much in real port. Of course the internet should be of help.

When you do find out, that will make you the forum's expert on the subject, so pass on what you learn.

from all I know you want to fortify it when it gets to the brix you want to drink it at. I mean if you like your wine at an SG reading of 1.020 then thats where I'd fortify it at.

I don't think that's correct because you want a sweet wine... so what you do is you buy a grape with a higher sugar content say 26 brix to start then you fortify it at say 6 brix ( that way the alcohol content is equvilent to a 20 brix grape) so then you still have the alcohol content and have the sweetness as well if you fortify it at 1.02 then it isn't sweet.

From what i've read, it sounds like you almost want close to a late harvest or ice-wine grape. I've seen a lot while looking around about "small, dense fruit clusters" with concentrated flavors to withstand the traditional oak aging.

As for when to fortify & how much residual sweetness to leave.. that is probably different and more of a trade secret at those older portugal wineries. But with having a high ABV, a lot of flavors, & hopefully some acidity to match - when you think of there being residual sweetness, gotta remember that to a certain extent you're trying to balance the sweetness out with the rest of the wine. It may have sweetness when you take a SG reading, but it may not taste sweet. I think the tweaking in that area is how you can still end up with a "dry" port wine... Even though port wines are described as being like sweet dessert wines :)

I'm no expert, its just what i've picked up in my reading.. Correct me if im wrong, please

port wine

I will typically make port wine from frontac or any red grape wine. I will first check the specific gravity around 1.90 and start cold masculation for a couple of days and then add yeast to it. Once the gravity drops to approx 1.60 add grain alachol to you reach 18-20 %

So to make things more simple - starting possible alachol is at 12% and I add straight alachol (grain 200 proof ) once I reach a 4% residual sugar and increase alachol until I get between 18-20% which will kill off all the yeast.
It is best if you can add oak to the alachol prior to starting, to add better flavor and taste

good luck
steve

I would imagine they add sugar to up the beginning brix and let it ferment to where you want and then fortify with Brandy or grain alc. I really dont think there are many late harvest grapes that would have the correct taste you were looking for. I would also imagine they would only use free run juice are mostly free run juice.

I will typically make port wine from frontac or any red grape wine. I will first check the specific gravity around 1.90 and start cold masculation for a couple of days and then add yeast to it. Once the gravity drops to approx 1.60 add grain alachol to you reach 18-20 %

So to make things more simple - starting possible alachol is at 12% and I add straight alachol (grain 200 proof ) once I reach a 4% residual sugar and increase alachol until I get between 18-20% which will kill off all the yeast.
It is best if you can add oak to the alachol prior to starting, to add better flavor and taste

good luck
steve

How do you do the equation to get 18-20 percent, I know how to figure it out from the wine but how do you know how much grain to dump in? will adding the grain increase the brix and you check it that way? Thanks for the help

port

typically I will do my by volume calcuation and I also have an alcohol hydrometer that will also measure it as well. When your pouring in the proof all of sudden when you get near 18% all fermenation will stop instantly.
This afternoon I am going out to pick grapes to make port this week

steve

typically I will do my by volume calcuation and I also have an alcohol hydrometer that will also measure it as well. When your pouring in the proof all of sudden when you get near 18% all fermenation will stop instantly.
This afternoon I am going out to pick grapes to make port this week

steve

Nice, what type of grapes you using?

not trying to change subject but what if your useing a wild yeast that can, and I have seen go well above 18%

typically if your using grain 200 proof you would have to add approx 2 1/2 - 3bottles (750 ) after getting initial alcohol to approx 8 %

If you are using brandy you have to use alot more due to the alcohol proof difference.

I have heard it also being done that way also, I think that if I fortify it,I will not loose alot of the original taste(no extra sugar needs to be added ) and viscosity from fermenting it.
There is a very good article on the orgins and history of port wine ;
http://www.intowine.com/port.html

not trying to change subject but what if your useing a wild yeast that can, and I have seen go well above 18%

Back