Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredman

Junior
Reaction score
I have a wine recipe that calls for raisins to be used. Well the raisins that you get in a store all have preservatives in them. Will that hurt the wine?

Some of the preservatives that are used in raisins could cause fermentations problems. I recently used Sun Maid brand baking raisins formy mead and they were preservative free.

Note: I used their Golden Raisins in some hard cider and didn't have any problems with fermentation.

Info from Sun Maid Website:

Q: Are there additives or preservatives in Raisins?
A: There are no additives or preservatives in our Sun-Maid Sun-Dried Raisins
or our Zante Currants. When the raisins are ready to be processed, we clean
the raisins using large aspirators (vacuums), graders, and shakers to remove
stems, dirt, and other foreign objects. We then do a very thorough washing
in fresh water which rehydrates the raisins.

Sun-Maid Golden Raisins are cleaned in much the same way, although these
raisins are treated with the preservative sulfur dioxide. This form of sulfite has
been used for centuries to prevent darkening of the fruit during the drying process.
Sulfites also help preserve the vitamin A and vitamin C contents of foods.
Edited by: masta

I will never add dark raisins to another wine. I recently bottles a muscadine ruined with dark raisins. I labeled it Rotgut. I will try it again in 5 years, God willing.

Rinse the golden raisins under running water to remove most of the sulphur dioxide before using, then mash.

I use raisins in a lot of fruit wines....add about 6 month to the ageing.....it starts to get nice then

Back