Racking question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icksicky

Junior
Reaction score
I am running out of carboy space and have a question about racking. I have been racking from my carboy to an empty and sanitized primary bucket. I then clean and re-sanitize the carboy he rack again back to he carboy. Does anyone se an issue with this?

I take you mean versus using a second carboy and only racking once each time. There are wine makers that take your approach (usually due to space or cost issues) and it, by and large, works fine. I do see 3 modest potential issues. First, there's the time involved. For me, cleaning and sanitizing is not much fun. Second, racking brings the risk of introducing air into the wine, particularly at the beginning and end or when the siphon tip is exposed. Third, wine and yeast prefer to be left alone as much as possible and don't like to be stressed.

By the way, I assume you re-clean and sanitize the siphon equipment, as well.

Tony P.

I do this on a regular biases. Mainly because when I rack my wine I do something else to it as well like stabilize, degas, backsweeten, add a clearing agent or something. I like having the extra room in a bucket to stirr the wine.
I don't disagree that this may not be the best practice for the reasons that Tony mentioned but I aint gonna say it's wrong either :D

I take you mean versus using a second carboy and only racking once each time. There are wine makers that take your approach (usually due to space or cost issues) and it, by and large, works fine. I do see 3 modest potential issues. First, there's the time involved. For me, cleaning and sanitizing is not much fun. Second, racking brings the risk of introducing air into the wine, particularly at the beginning and end or when the siphon tip is exposed. Third, wine and yeast prefer to be left alone as much as possible and don't like to be stressed.

By the way, I assume you re-clean and sanitize the siphon equipment, as well.

Tony P.

I've been doing this for awhile too, SOOOO glad to finally get some insight on it. Tony, do you mean we should sanitize the siphon in between the rack in and the rack out of the bucket?

I don't want to suggest going crazy on this, but I read somewhere that sanitizing is only good for 30 minutes. So, it depends on how quickly you work. For me, I use Star San and sometimes do extra sprays.

awesome, I'm usually done sanitizing within a couple minutes so I think I should be good without a second sanitation, I'm going to have to order some Star San. Thanks again Tony!

awesome, I'm usually done sanitizing within a couple minutes so I think I should be good without a second sanitation, I'm going to have to order some Star San. Thanks again Tony!

Josh, there's a forum topic you should be able to find on Star San / K-meta pros and cons. You'll probably find it interesting.

Tony P.

Josh, there's a forum topic you should be able to find on Star San / K-meta pros and cons. You'll probably find it interesting.

Tony P.

That is very good topic ! I will try and find that link as well.

Thanks sooo much...one positive choice I have made so far...most of the rest of he choices no so much :)

Latest posts

Back