Racking currant mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caminowalker

Junior
Reaction score
Ok. So.
The yeast in the currant mead has stopped burping. It is in a one gallon jug with a spigot on the bottom. The dead yeast is in a nice layer on the bottom, the bag of currents is floating peacefully on top. I went to the pet store and got some plastic aquarium tubing (metric) that should fit my U.S. specs siphon apparatus. The mead is a bit cloudier than I would like it to be but it smells heavenly.
What should I do next? I imagine I should carefully siphon the liquid into another sanitized jug. Another air lock on top or a stopper? Glass jug or plastic bucket? Should I measure the specific gravity again? What am I looking for?
Should I add some bentonite for the cloudiness or would it be more trouble than it is worth?
Is there any chance this might be drinkable for Christmas?
Sorry for all the questions - TIA!

The yeast in the currant mead has stopped burping.
I assume you mean activity in the airlock? Activity in the airlock does not tell you anything conclusive. What is the SG? You need to check the SG when performing any activity.

Following is a post that explains the basic winemaking process. It will take 10-15 minutes to read, and will help you understand the overall process.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/basic-winemaking-process/
I went to the pet store and got some plastic aquarium tubing (metric) that should fit my U.S. specs siphon apparatus.
Is it food grade? All hardware must be food grade, else you're risking bad things leaching into your wine. Tubing that handles water fine may not be suitable for wine, which is acidic.

I assume you mean activity in the airlock? Activity in the airlock does not tell you anything conclusive. What is the SG? You need to check the SG when performing any activity.

Following is a post that explains the basic winemaking process. It will take 10-15 minutes to read, and will help you understand the overall process.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/basic-winemaking-process/

Is it food grade? All hardware must be food grade, else you're risking bad things leaching into your wine. Tubing that handles water fine may not be suitable for wine, which is acidic.
Yes, I definitely thought about suitability to use with food. I have no way of knowing and got a blank look when I asked at the store.
No, I don't speak German.
My alternative is to go to a hardware store and bring the siphon to get tubing that will fit. Again, food grade tubing may be hard to find, even online.

You're in the USA, so there are numerous online sources. Try labelpeelers.com
I'm not in the USA. I'm stationed in Europe. Sorry, I said all that in my intro to the forum, but there's no reason it should have carried over to here. My bad. Yes, I live in Germany, which is why not speaking German could be an issue.

PS - I don't know why my profile says I am located in NYC. Will change as soon as possible.

I'm not in the USA. I'm stationed in Europe. Sorry, I said all that in my intro to the forum, but there's no reason it should have carried over to here. My bad. Yes, I live in Germany, which is why not speaking German could be an issue.

PS - I don't know why my profile says I am located in NYC. Will change as soon as possible.
Email Luc Volders in the Netherlands, he will probably know an online supplier you can use.

[email protected] I hope this helps.

Vinyl tubing is a commodity I would use it and not worry. You are not letting it soak an pull solvents out. If you are ordering tubing I like silicone. Silicone connects other things without leaking. I use a lot of water line tubing for racking. Polyethylene can be heated and bent to hold a shape as if it was lab glassware. ,,, This includes straightening it out from the roll.

Vinyl tubing will stretch. If I want a tight fitting I will heat the end/ inch or so, in boiling water, then while it is hot slip it over the polyethylene or acrylic or nylon. If I have problems I will stretch it by putting a needle nose players in it while hot. I tend to replace vinyl every year so this gets done periodically. It is easy to stretch.

In the old days they (I) would start a siphon by sucking. I have used a T as well as a two hole cork for siphoning. Today siphons get started with a cheap vacuum pump, the metabisulphite sanitizer is nasty if sucking to start a carboy.

Vinyl tubing is a commodity I would use it and not worry. You are not letting it soak an pull solvents out. If you are ordering tubing I like silicone. Silicone connects other things without leaking. I use a lot of water line tubing for racking. Polyethylene can be heated and bent to hold a shape as if it was lab glassware. ,,, This includes straightening it out from the roll.

Vinyl tubing will stretch. If I want a tight fitting I will heat the end/ inch or so, in boiling water, then while it is hot slip it over the polyethylene or acrylic or nylon. If I have problems I will stretch it by putting a needle nose players in it while hot. I tend to replace vinyl every year so this gets done periodically. It is easy to stretch.

In the old days they (I) would start a siphon by sucking. I have used a T as well as a two hole cork for siphoning. Today siphons get started with a cheap vacuum pump, the metabisulphite sanitizer is nasty if sucking to start a carboy.
Wow. Thank you for this good information. It is a bit of a relief.

Back