Racking & Clarification

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sideways

Junior
Reaction score
I'm still working on my first batch of Cabernet (WE Kit)...

The wine has been stabilizing and clearing for about 10 of the 15 days
that are recommended. So far, it appears to be very clear at this
point in good lighting. I'm going to give it until next weekend
7/23 before bottling.

Here's a couple of "rookie" questions:

1. Should I rack it a couple of time to help remove some of the
    sediment before next weekend. There is about an 1" of build-up
    at the bottom of the carboy. (Rack it to the primary then back to
    the carboy and let it settle of a couple days?)

2. Or should I just rack it to the Primary bucket (with the spigot) just before bottling?
Side Comments/Observations:

I noticed that the aroma isn't that great, I'm afraid it has a
slight hint of vinegar/sulfite to it... Is this normal for this
stage of the process? Is the aroma expected develop over
time? Should I be concerned?

Edited by: Sideways

I like to rack it carefully to a clean carboy or bucket right before bottling. If you do suck up some fines and cloud up your wine just rack it back to the carboy (after cleaning it of course) and then top off with some store bought Cab and let it settle out again.

The aroma will develop over time as this wine certainly will need to age a while.

Masta,

Cool!

So when you say
top off with some store bought Cab and let it
settle out again
how long should this process take?

In other words, is this something you would do then let it settle for a few minutes, hours or days?

Let it settle for a few days. You will knowfrom the clarity that develops.

smiley33.gif

Hippie -

smiley20.gif
- Ok, here's what I'm thinking:

1. Thursday</span> ~ Rack wine from Carboy into Plastic Bucket
  2. Thrusday</span> ~ Carefully rack wine from Plastic Bucket back into Clean &amp; Sanitized Carboy and let it settle until Saturday.
  3. Saturday </span>~ Use the Buon
    Vino bottle filler from the Carboy and start filling bottles. I
    wonder if the Anti-sediment tip will do the trick at this point?

3. Saturday ~ wait on that one for at least a couple of weeks, in my opinion. Let it settle for a couple of weeks (okay, at LEAST one), and then, if there's not a whole bunch of sediment, filter.

If there is a notable amount of sediment (i.e. you can see sediment), rack and wait a week again.

Wine takes time. Even the kit ones.

smiley36.gif

Martina

Med -

Ok, I'll take your advice:

smiley23.gif

1. Saturday (step 3) </span>~ Check
    sediment level ... Is it visible on the bottom of the carboy? If
    yes--&gt; Rack it again and give it at least one more week.
  2. 2nd Saturday</span> ~ Check
    sediment level again. If it's still visible, rack again and give it one
    more week to settle. If the sediment is not visible, I'm getting
    out the bottles.
    smiley17.gif
    This would be the 4th week of stabilizing and clearing. - Hopefully it will be nice and clear by this point.

Still too big of a hurry. 2nd saturday ~ if wine is still precipitating, give it another 1 or 2 weeks. Just keep the carboy topped up to within 1-2 inches of the airlock stem. Listen to well-skilled Martina. Patience, Grasshopper.

smiley33.gif

Hippie -

Ok, I just finished racking from the carboy to the bucket and back to the carboy again.

A couple of details:

1. Very slow auto-siphon from carboy to bucket (min. oxidation)

2. I left the thick sediment behind in carboy this time.

3. Cleaned and sanitized carboy

4. Racked backed to the carboy from bucket spigot (min. splash)

5. Again, I left some thick sediment behind in the bucket

6. The carboy is sitting in a dark closet until next weekend and
    I'll check to see if any sediment is visible. If there is still
    sediment which I suspect there will be. I'll rack it again.
  7. Note: I added 1/4 teaspoon of potassium metabisulphite to
    1/2 cup water and topped up the rest with similiar cabernet wine.
Do you see any concerns with this process?

Why did you add more K-Meta? Who told you to do that? A quarter teaspoon is enough to stabilize an entire 5 or 6 gallons of wine. I am afraid now you will need to do alot of splashing when you rack to dissipate some of the SO2, but at least you are protected enough to do extra rackings. I would not rack more than once every 4 weeks. Buy more carboys and make more wine in the meantime.

Hippie -

Step 4 of the kit's instructions:

1. Note: Wineexpert kits contain very low levels of sulphite
    compared to commerical wine. If you want to age your wine more
    than 6 months, you "must</span>" add
    extra metabisulphite power to prevent oxidation. To do this, dissolve
    1.5 grams (1/4 teaspoon) of potassium metabisulphite powder in 250 ml
    (1/2) cool water and gently stir into wine in the clean carboy. This
    extra sulphite will not affect flavour or early drinkability.
I noticed sediment this morning - about 3/4" . I'm a bit confused at this point, what is the next step?

1. Should I rack and splash? I thought splashing should be minimized so you don't dissolve oxygen into your wine?

2. Should I just leave it alone for a week or more? So far it has been clearing for about 23 days.

I agree that its time to start a new batch... I have another carboy on
its way. The trouble is what batch should I make next?

Pinot? Chardonnay?

Edited by: Sideways

I'm not Hippie, but I'll add my two cents:

Rack it and splash it a little.

Once there's no sediment dropping, then add the K-Meta.

Hope this helps!

Martina

Hi Med -

I racked and (sorta) splashed yesterday (day 22 of clearing) then I
added the K-Meta. Instructions spell out 15 days before adding
the K-Meta.

It sounds like I still should have waited until the very end (no visible sediment) before I added the K-Meta?

Since, I already added the K-Meta is that going to be an issue?

Hummm...

Doubtful that it will be an issue.

Just keep racking if there's sediment. the K-meta will basically stay suspended for a long time. That's why you add it anyway.
smiley4.gif

Don't worry! You'll find that the wine will turn out just fine. Sometimes those instructions are pretty vague in special circumstances, but since you have found this forum, it's not so bad.
smiley2.gif
We can walk you through pretty good.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

The addition of the K-Meta should not be an issue. I’d let the wine sit in the carboy for 2 or 3 weeks to ensure the sediment has dropped. Then either rack to a clean carboy or your primary and bottle.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

If you are making the WE Selection kit you do not seem to be off track. After adding stabilizers and fining, the wine sits for 8 to 10 days during which it will develop a lot of sediment. It is then racked to a clean carboy where it sits for 2 or 3 weeks to finishing dropping sediment. Sounds to me like you are at this stage with the exception of adding the additional K-Meta a little early.

Although not required by the instructions, I always rack before bottling to separate the wine from any sediment that may have formed. Idissolve the additional ¼ teaspoon of K-Metain some wine and place it in the receiving carboy, then rack the wine into it. You can then bottle or put a fermentation lock on the carboy and bottle when you are ready. Most often 2 or 3 months will pass before I am ready to bottle.

Try the chardonnay, that way you will have a red and a white. Although, there is certainlynothing wrong with two reds.

Ok, I get it now in regards to the K-Meta. I wouldn't add extra, but if the instructions say it's ok, then OK.

In regards to racking and bottling, I am a little picky. I want no sediment whatsoever in the bottom of that carboy when it comes bottling time. That sediment will endup in a bottle or 2, regardless.If the wine is still precpitating, I rack once a month and continue with bulk aging. I do it this way whether it is a kit or not. The whole idea of bulk aging is waiting until the wine is ready for bottling. If it has visible sediment, it is not ready to bottle, nor is it ready to filter if going that route before bottling. I usually do.

This is just me. Noone needs to get allpannicky.You do it however you want. Certainly, the best advice to someone doing a kit is 'do it exactly like the instructions say'.

Good job.

smiley33.gif

Everyone -

Awesome advice!

Thank you all very much - I enjoyed the many tid-bits of information
not included in the instructions but rather from real "experience".

Ah yeah... gotta like that!

I really had no idea that it would take weeks even months to clear a
"kit" wine so I just need to relax and chill... eh Hippie?
smiley16.gif
I have to admit I'm getting kinda jazzed about bottling so it will be a long wait.

Time to start another kit and let this carboy bulk age for awhile.

Patience makes fine wine.

A big argument that I don't disagree with is that those kits are made for impatient people. OK.

smiley16.gif

OK, here is my racking question, but more geared for the 2nd fermentation. After racking from the primary to the 2nd. What temp range is needed for the 2nd? Same as the primary or cooler?

We usually leave our primary upstairs where it tends to be warmer than the basement. All 2ndary fermentation takes place in the basement family room where it's always cool.
smiley16.gif

Like Hippie, we always do that final racking before bottling to keep any last sediment out. My husband, Bert, has had trouble with the patience portion of wine making, but he's finally getting it. It is hard to wait but the payoff comes when you pour that glass of wine for a guest and they can admire not only the flavor but also the appearance of your wine.
smiley32.gif
So order a few more carboys and get several wines going so there's alway something to keep you busy. And good luck!

Latest posts

Back