WineXpert Racking and topping up an Island Mist kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostaevski

Junior
Reaction score
I'm new to winemaking but I somehow find I have 4 different kits going now. One problem I have is when I rack from primary to carboy or carboy-to-carboy I lose so much liquid. I assume I'm supposed to stop siphoning once it goes from clear-ish wine to that cloudy stuff? Can I pour the last bit of juice over a filter or something?

Anyway, I have purchased like 8 pounds of 100% glass marbles but still find I've needed to top up. When it's not much I just use water but I had a cab. sauv. kit that I used about 2.5 pounds of marbles and STILL had to use about 3/4 bottle of store bought wine.

Tonight I think I'm on the stabilizing part of an Island Mist kit. I bought a whole bunch of marbles that I just know I will need but then I figured what if I didn't use marbles and just topped up? What would I use to top up an island mist kit? It's a black raspberry merlot.

First I think you are leaving a bit too much wine behind...
From primary to carboy the first time don't be to worried about taking some sediment with..[it will settle out very quickly]...
Also check that you have a full 6 gal. in your primary..[assuming this is a 6 gal. kit]
Racking after secondary fer. a little bit sediment is OK as it will settle out quickly...
the other thing you can do is use 5 gal. carboys and some smaller jugs [to be used later for top up]
one more thing check your carboys...they are not created equal..[may not be all the same size]

Thanks Bert.

I posted that when I was at work then when I got home I realized that kit comes with an F-pack so I actually only needed a little bit of water.

Ahhh, You confirmed my suspicion about there being an f-pack to add. Be sure to try and get most of the wine at the first transfer, like Bert says even if it gets a bit of lees with it. The lees settle back out quickly and you don't waste the wine that way.

Back