Rack before bulk aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenS

Reaction score
Finished my first kit today, a CC Lodi Old Vine Zin. Racked it to a clean carboy, and added the stabilization and fining agents per the instructions. It is now resting comfortably in the carboy to clear and then rest a while. I had lots of questions and got lots of answers here along the way; really helped take the fear out of my first kit. Thanks for that!

I topped up the carboy, put on the airlock and set in a cool dark place to rest. I immediately see that the stuff I added today has done the job of dropping a lot of sediment in the carboy, and the wine already looks much brighter. So, my one more question:

Should I rack the wine off that sediment in the coming weeks before letting it bulk age in the carboy (or if I get impatient and choose to bottle it). Or do I just leave it as is until I decide to bottle?

If you used a fining agent you should let it sit about 2 weeks so that it compacts really good making it easier to rack off of without disturbing it. Also, tilt the carboy using a 2x4 or book so that all the sediment falls to one side letting you stick the racking cane right down to the bottom on the other side when racking and right at the end slowly and gently tilt it back the other way to get every precious drop. If there is already a layer all the way across the carboy now then tilt it good and rock it so that whats there now falls to that side. If sediment gets stuck on the sides of your carboy give the carboy a few quick twists and it will settle to the bottom.

+1 Get it off within a couple of weeks. If you let it sit for months on end you risk some off flavors in your wine.

Back