'Quick' Red Wine Kit Recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaunDanz

Reaction score
So, I've been bit by this wine making bug. Since my wife bought me my first kit last November, I have now made 11 kits. In fact, I'm in the process of building a wine cellar. My wine cellar will be able to easily hold 900 bottles of wine so I will have room to age some bigger reds. However, in the mean time, I don't want to drink the big reds that I've made. Does anyone have suggestions for red kits that will taste decent in a year or less? I pretty much like everything except Syrah. Thanks in advance.

You're probably going to get a lot of variety in the comments on this and I'm curious to see what folks come up with. Broadly, I'd stay away from anything better than premium quality kits because the benefits take longer to peak and you'd be drinking the wine too early to benefit from the extra cost. On the premium kits, avoid those with skins. The tannins may inhibit early development (i.e., chemical changes.)

In terms of specific recommendations, I have two from Winexpert: Chilean Malbec and Chilean Pinot Noir. I find Chilean wines to be milder than most others, which should make early drinking easier.

Here's two tips on early drinking in general, although you didn't ask:

1. Temperature impacts aging dramatically, so you'll usually want reds to age slowly by maintaining a temperature around 55 - 58 degrees. Wines age more quickly at higher temperatures, so you should be able to accelerate the aging process a bit by by maintaining a higher temperature for this kit's aging, perhaps 65 degrees. Don't go much higher because the nasty things that happen to wine (like oxidation) accelerate at higher temperatures, as well.

2. Many people believe bulk aging is better than bottle aging, at least in the short term. Thus, you should be able to improve the wine and get more bang for each day's aging by keeping it in the carboy an extra 2 months.

Tony P.

Here I go again,

I did the Paklab Amore Divino Merlot, Montepulciano and Rosso Magnifico each with a grape pack from Paklab. The paklab Vino Italiani on Amazon are pretty much the same kit series.
I did them in Mar, and they are really very good now. They are not big like the RJS Super Tuscan (mine and many of the forums' favorite kit) but as an everyday wine they turned out great. They easily drink better than any $10-15 dollar comercial wine at $2 per bottle to make.

The WE World Vine Cal. Pinot Noir, became drinkable pretty quickly. Did that in Dec and most of it is gone now, but the Paklab kits arte smoother, earlier.

I do 3 cheap paklab kits and one BIG red kit every quarter. Three to drink one to build inventory.

Thanks guys. I have been wanting to try my luck at an Italian red. I have two paklab kits in bulk right now and have no idea about the quality yet. I have an Amazon Prime account so I think I'll try the Vino Italiano Rosso Magnifico. From the reviews it sounds like I should make it up to 5 gallons and not 6 as the instructions state. I'll probably throw a pound of raisins in with it too unless I can get my hands on a grape pack.

I've made 10 kits using the packlab grape packs, I've added the pack to their $40 kits. I think they have all turned out quite well. The cheap kits are very drinkable early. 3 mo after bottling.

BUT, they are no longer on EBAY. Packlab has nothing on ebay. I contacted the comany directly to see if I (we) can get the packs directly. The gentleman said they would take a credit card over the phone and ship directly.

So Shaun if you want a grape pack or more give them a call.

They are supposed to start to sell the grape packs at Amazon soon.

http://mywinemonvin.com/ 888-946 -3233 ext 225

OH Yeah. I also add Oak (1 cup med or light toast chips, boiled with the water) to primary, 1/2 tsp tannin, 2 tsp peptic enzyme, usually 1-3 cups sugar to get sg to 1.10. and I take it to 5.5 gal. then add grape pack. I ferment to dry on the pack. Ussauly about 8-10 days. I have switched the yeast to pastuer red, made a slight difference but not much.

Last edited:
Wow. Awesome advice Kevin. Yeah, I forgot to mention that I oak most of my reds. I have never played with tannin or peptic enzyme. This is going to be exciting! :)

Back