Question on my first ever batch of Muscadine wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwr75

Junior
Reaction score
This batch has been in the secondary fermenter for 2 weeks now. The Sp. Gr. measured 1.00 today. Take a look at the picture (sorry it is sideways, stupid iPhone). The cloudy bottom layer is about 5 inches deep. I didn't have the proper straining bag for my fruit when this batch was made. (Note: I did have the correct nylon straining bag when making second batch, Scuppernong wine, you see in the photo next to the first batch).

Should I avoid transferring any of this cloudy layer when I rack it? Should I use some cheese cloth to clean up this cloudy layer after racking the clearer layer to salvage some of the wine?

IMG_1207[1].jpg

Rack off all you can, then run the rest through a cheese cloth. You will still have some sediment but it will get rid of a bunch of that. Also don't be afraid to squeeze the cheeze cloth a little. I usualky squeese mine until I get just a little pulp, then the leftovers are pretty much dry.

Latest posts

Back