Question for Turock about blackberry wine and acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't opened it yet as I'm waiting for somevintners harvest cherry to finish in primary then I'll rack it and start this one

OK--sounds good. I looked at my brix chart and the potential alcohol on this should be a tad over 12% so that's actually perfect--I wouldn't add more sugar than that.

Ok got a new primAry didn't want to wait ph was 3.08 brix was 21 . I am adjusting ph to 3.4 now with calcium carbonate and then I'll add more pectic enzyme. Tomorrow night I'll pitch lakvin 71b 1122 and I'll add half of the yeast nutrient after the lag then the other half at 1.05 . Does that all sound about right?

Adjusted to 3.4 took about 1 and a half tablespoons of calcium carbonate and I added 2 teaspoons of pectic enzyme

Thanks I've ruined four batches of blackberry. One was too acidic 3.0 two were jam wines that got stuck I thunk because I followed a recipe and added acid blend and the last one was the snafu wig the calcium carbonate. I really have high hopes for this one and only used the pure juice from walkers with no water. Thanks for the help I'll keep you posted

I would say that the result of all those mistakes is that you will now be the master of this wine. And if you treat all your wines this way--testing and knowing how to adjust your acids--all your wines will be much better. Don't be in a hurry with it--let it age at least 9 months before thinking about bottling. I know this will turn out great!

I was going to add more superferment at 1.050 but it fermented down to 1.030 very fast before I knew itso I added 2 teaspoons on Friday and Saturday I left to go out of town for the night came back today and its at 1.01 and doesn't appear to be doing anything. So I racked it to a 5 gallon carboy and topped up witha bottle of Cabernet and it didn't even fill up the carboy. What should I do now. I used the 71b does it usually stop at 1.01 I would have preferred to get it to 1.0 before racking but didn't want to take any chances. Will it still ferment further if its not doing anything like bubbling?

I would top up. I fill mine to just below where the Carboy neck gets narrow.

Well, we don't like adulterating our wines with top up wine. We use marbles and glass spheres to fill the carboy. Yes, the level should be up in the neck. So if you like the idea of the Cab, go get some more and top them up.

Another way we top up is using gallon jugs instead of a carboy. It's a good idea to have various glassware available.

Our blackberry finished at 0.99 but even 1 is OK for getting it in the carboy as long as the ferment is not real active and blowing off the airlock. It will finish over in the carboy with no problem. Remember not to bottle it for quite a while--let it age for at least 9 months before contemplating bottling it.

Back