Question for Julie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vschlaff

Reaction score
Hi Julie,
I made my sweet cherry wine and was thinking instead of adding choc to this one I would add vanilla. I'm thinking it would taste better If I make a tart cherry to mix with the choc. What are your thoughts on this idea?
Thanks,
Ginny

Oh I like that idea. Use vanilla beans, I think that would give it a real nice flavor and yes using a tart cherry with chocolate would be better. And to let you know a tart cherry will always make a better wine, like tart apples will always make a better wine.

I like to look at it this way, when making a cherry or apple pie, you need to make it with tart fruit or else the flavor and texture is wrong. When making wine, what makes since in cooking will make since in winemaking.

Taste your wine first before adding the vanilla, if you need to add some sugar to the glass to get the sweetness to where you want it, do that. You never know you might just like it the way it is.

I have added sugar. I'm not real sure what I think of the flavor yet. I figured I would let it age some then taste and experiment with the vanilla.
Thanks for your helpful information!!
Ginny

hate to but in but I make a cherry vanela port every other year. I use tart cherries and vanila beans. I put the vanila beans in while bulk aging for about 4-6 weeks spliting them first. It has a wonderful flavor chery up frunt and vanela at the end.

hate to but in but I make a cherry vanela port every other year. I use tart cherries and vanila beans. I put the vanila beans in while bulk aging for about 4-6 weeks spliting them first. It has a wonderful flavor chery up frunt and vanela at the end.

Don't apologize, I love it when we can get others experience in winemaking. I'm thinking about trying this on my next cherry wine. You two have gotten me thinking.

I add vanilla beans to EVERYTHING. Cab, plum, Mead, strawberry, Riesling, ect ect ect.....EVERYTHING, but beer, so far

I add vanilla beans to EVERYTHING. Cab, plum, Mead, strawberry, Riesling, ect ect ect.....EVERYTHING, but beer, so far

why not beer, mike???....think about it....a nice, smooth vannilla porter???....or maybe an oatmeal stout with a touch of vanilla???....

why not beer, mike???....think about it....a nice, smooth vannilla porter???....or maybe an oatmeal stout with a touch of vanilla???....

Yea I agree, a vanilla porter does sound really good.

Dang, it's threads like these that make me realize just how lacking my supply closet really is.
Now I gotta buy some Vanilla Beans :HB

Because I just haven't got to it yet. Have just started making some good beers, now that I have basics down , let the experiment begin

I like to look at it this way, when making a cherry or apple pie, you need to make it with tart fruit or else the flavor and texture is wrong. When making wine, what makes since in cooking will make since in winemaking.

I've gotta respectfully disagree. You're definitely right about the apple pie apples, needing to be tart.. But i've never liked anything other than Bing Cherry pies. Granted, ive never tasted a tart cherry wine myself, but i do have to say that the couple batches of wine i have around with sweet cherries in them are lovely.

I've personally wondered if the tart cherries have been a favorite for economical reasons - easier to find better quality, in more areas & price.

Not to detract from the original topic, just wanted to toss in a few pennies for thought.

My Last Bing cherry wine was real good but it took about 6 months to be drinkable and a year before it was good. Before that it tasted like cough syrup

I've gotta respectfully disagree. You're definitely right about the apple pie apples, needing to be tart.. But i've never liked anything other than Bing Cherry pies. Granted, ive never tasted a tart cherry wine myself, but i do have to say that the couple batches of wine i have around with sweet cherries in them are lovely.

I've personally wondered if the tart cherries have been a favorite for economical reasons - easier to find better quality, in more areas & price.

Not to detract from the original topic, just wanted to toss in a few pennies for thought.

LOL, Deezil, tart cherries have been the favorite because that is what grows the most in the US and it is the cherry that is preserved. Bing cherries are a cherry you can get fresh, not sure if I ever seen a bing cherry canned or sold in that fashion but then I never looked for any either.

Did not mean to imply that a bing cherry would not make a good wine, it is just most fruit where there is a sweet version and a tart version, the tart will make the better pie.

LOL, Deezil, tart cherries have been the favorite because that is what grows the most in the US and it is the cherry that is preserved. Bing cherries are a cherry you can get fresh, not sure if I ever seen a bing cherry canned or sold in that fashion but then I never looked for any either.

Did not mean to imply that a bing cherry would not make a good wine, it is just most fruit where there is a sweet version and a tart version, the tart will make the better pie.

Yeah i figured it was mostly for economical reasons - easier to find, in more places, for cheaper. Just had to toss in a varying opinion for anyone who might come across the thread

:b

Does that also hold true with women?

LOL, don't know Mike, I never made a women pie before, :) :i

Yeah i figured it was mostly for economical reasons - easier to find, in more places, for cheaper. Just had to toss in a varying opinion for anyone who might come across the thread

:b

No problem Deezil, if you didn't bring out varying opinions I don't think we all would be making as good of a wine as we should. One persons opinion is a learning porcess for the rest of us.

Julie I also understand in jelly making it is usually the sour cherries that most people use. We picked about 20 pounds at Walkers last year. There are other places but they have a pitter you can use for free. It took about 5 minutes. It was an old olive pitter from California that they converted.

I have a friend east of Mountains that has cherry orchards.; He grows Bings and Royal Annes. Don't know anyone growing tart cherries. Man I love free fruit. mRoyal Annes will never get to fermenter, they are WAY to good to eat

Back