Question about my Hydrometer/secondary ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
I'm just a little over 6 weeks into the Walkers Niagara juice ferment. It seems to have stopped at 1.00 spg, and won't go any lower.
I also have a Summer breeze kit (wild berry White Zinfandel) going, and at 22 days, it seems to have stopped fermenting at 1.00 spg as well. Does this seem right? Both should go to .998-.996 spg I'm told.
I'm wondering if I should get another hydrometer, or if they have stuck, or just stopped. I used a brew belt for the primary, but took it off after a couple weeks. Temps are around 65F right now.

Its pretty much right as 1.000 is considered dry and these are both wines I really wouldnt want bone dry anyway. Test your hydrometer in some distilled water at the temp your hydrometer is calibrated to. Most are calibrated to 60* but some are 68* It should read 1.000 in there, if not just adjust your readings accordingly. If it is accurate then your wine is done and Id be happy at that sg myself.

also if you haven't degassed yet you could have bubble clinging to the hydrometer giving you a false reading. i always give it a good spin

Latest posts

Back