PVC shrinks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corinth

Reaction score
Are all PVC shrinks for bottle tops the same size?The tops of some bottles are larger than other so when heat is applied, they shrink nicely . advice?

Corinth

There are some oversized ones out there but they can be a little hard to find. They usually only come in a few colors like black. I stopped using shrinks a few years ago. Problem solved! LOL

Presque Isle has a pretty good range of colors. That's where I get mine for the winery.

I stopped using them because I think they are made from PVC or something similar, and PVC is not something I want to purchase or put on my wine. Personal choice, but I try to limit PVC, chrome, vinyl, and things of that sort because they are toxic to make.

I was using a kitchen pan with hot water to shrink the capsules onto my wine, and that concerned me as well, that something from the PVC would transfer to the stuff we use to cook food. Could have been solved with an extra pan but I decided to eliminate them all together.

They surely look nice but along with corks can't be recycled or reused the way all our bottles can be. Corks are essential but capsules are optional, so that was my thinking.

Back