Purple Plum wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBB

Reaction score
Going to try my hand at some 'purple plum' wine. Since we had a decent year with our fruit trees I ended up freezing 40lbs of purple plums for wine.

The trees these came from are leaning at about a 65 degree angle I'm going to name the wine "Tilted Plum":D

Looking for a yeast reccomendation if anyone has one.:b

20131129_115852.jpg

I only made one batch of fresh plum wine. It came out soooo good!!! I have not had another good plum deal so have not made a second wine yet. I may have to buy a concentrate or canned plumbs!
I used lavin 1116 yeast. Truefully it was a small batch of wine so I just dumped everything in on the sludge left from a first racking of a mixed fruit wine.

Those look like the kind of plums i've been using they make a great wine. They do create a lot of sediment tho. I've made one batch diluted with water which turned out Ok, but the straight juice batches are way better. Good luck with yours.

Ended up adding a little water along with a liter of red concentrate. Thought I had 71b yeast but I did not so went with Montrachet.

Plums were put in paint straining bags but I am anticipating a lot of sediment anyway.

I have approx 140lbs of wild plums left in the freezer waiting for a free'd up fermenting bucket or two.:b

I bottled 3 gallons of wild plum port today. It's actually drinkable now but I'm putting it away for at least a year. It has more flavor and aroma than cultivated plums. Definitely will try again next year.

Going to try my hand at some 'purple plum' wine. Since we had a decent year with our fruit trees I ended up freezing 40lbs of purple plums for wine.

The trees these came from are leaning at about a 65 degree angle I'm going to name the wine "Tilted Plum":D

Looking for a yeast reccomendation if anyone has one.:b

20131129_115852.jpg
I have made wild plum wine for the past 2 years,it is a very good wine,wild plums this year were bigger than the past but fewer in numbers. I use a RC-212 yeast and it works well.I have 5gals bottled and 5 gals in the secondary.If the plums are good next year I'll make more.Well I found more wild plums in the freezer,so I started another 5 gals of WPW.

Last edited:
I started a plum wine 9/27. I did just follow a recipe....my 2nd batch of wine, and probably added too much sugar, beginning sg was 1.101, ending sg is 1.001. I've racked it twice so far and on 11/27 added super-kleer....checked it today and it is still not clear. I maybe added the super-kleer too soon? Would it be better to just continue to let it sit in a carboy? Or should I add Sparkaloid? I have read and read NEVER bottle a cloudy wine, so I'm certainly not ready to do that! I am attempting to learn patience, which does not come easy to me!!! :h Any suggestions are appreciated. bty, it does have a GREAT flavor, a little tart in the beginning but finishes with a great plum flavor! :db Gonna call it Plum Tart!

Plum is notorious for taking a long time to clear. Give it more time.

My plum is going in 1.5 years in the carboy and it's still super hazy. This one is not going to clear I don't think.

Did you add pectin enzyme when you first started this wine? If not add double recamended amount now. You may have a pectin haze. I don't think most clearing agents will clear that. Super klear usually clears everything else very quickly.
If the wine is still cloudy after all this time it will not be active yeast. That you do not want to bottle! If the sg has been stable for the last few months, especialiy if it is below 1.000, you can probely safly bottle this wine. Or at least start drinking it!!!

Yes, my recipe was as follows:
30 lbs plums
6 tsp acid blend
4 tsp pectic enzyme
3 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp grape tannin
I used Red Star Pasteur Red Yeast

the sg has been at 1.001 since 10/12, so figure the yeast is done working! The only other additive I've used is the super-kleer on 11/27! It may be that it will never clear as 4elements plum wine, or as UBB has said it may just take longer! I need another lesson in patience! Thanks for the responses

Got two gallons of plum just moved to the secondary. I got a little crazy with the sugar and started with a SG of 1.140. Time for the Lavin 1118 to go to work! The secondary jugs look like bottles of al-k-seltzer. This 18% red should pack a nice punch. I used the primary lees to start a 5 gallon batch of skeeter pee. Man those 1118's love to get a workout, the SP was fizzing within an hour! The interesting thing about these plums are from the last batch of my grandfathers farm in 2007 before he passed. The plums have been frozen solid in zip locks. They are still making fine wine and jellies.

Back