Protein Haze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jc5066

Reaction score
It appears I have some excess protein in my red wine. I think I over squeezed my grape skins.

Any way; What is the best way to remove this haze/film? I am thinking of filtering over fining. Any thoughts?

Kenridge showcase kits come with an enzyme blend that is supposed to clear this up. I only use the enzymes when I get the protein ring/haze, so I sometimes have a packet sitting around for other batches if needed. Unfortunately, they don't state what the enzyme(s) are. If you are like me and have a packet sitting around, try it. Or, maybe contact Kenridge CS and ask them what it is. They might tell you (not likely, but worth a shot).

I use Bentonite for protein hazes.

Be careful though, it will strip out some flavor, color and aroma too, if you overdo it.
But it'll handle that protein haze.

You can start with a little and add more every other day or once a week, until it handles it.
Sometimes I can get away with a little addition at first, and because you want to stir it repeatedly, sometimes that same little bit will actually do it after a few stirs over a few days.

It has a charge, the Bentonite, which is opposite to the charge of the proteins, so they'll naturally attract if you get them to come into contact - with stirring.

Easiest way is to make a Bentonite slurry and keep it in a quart jar, sealed tight. Then you can add an amount of this - I usually go for a tablespoon at a time, batch size depending - to the wine and it's already ready to go. My Bentonite slurry.. I think it was 3 tablespoons of bentonite in a cup of water? It was pretty heavy, so it didnt take much slurry for any given wine. I'll double check that when I find a minute, or someone can correct me if they have it too.

Back