Proper sanitizing techniques

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
I have no doubt my equipment is sanitized when I use it; I am equally sure I am putting too much effort into it.

Please describe your sanitizing techniques.

Thank you,
Chris

make sure everything is clean to begin with.

I use Starsan. I store it in a jug, and pour it into a pot when I need it.

Every surface of everything that touches the wine gets wet with Starsan (wet, but doesn't have to soak). After 1 minute it is good to go.

Rack the Starsan solution from the pot to the Carboy in order to santize the inside of the racking cane/tube. Rotate the Carboy to get all the surfaces wet. Don't worry about the foam that doesn't pour out.

I use a funnel to pour into bottles, and pour from bottle to bottle, to sanitize them.

If I use a spoon/hydrometer/other utensil, I rinse it off with tap water, and put it in the pot with the starsan. I use a measuring cup to get all wet, and leave it there until I need it again during that session.

What I can tel you is that many people will rinse in very hot water and then sanitize. They get away with it most of the time. The fact is the equipment is not clean. If you aren't using soap and a brush or sponge you are not getting all of the hidden dirt and sanitizer does not fix it in some cases. If you have a batch of wine lacking the proper amount of S02 or has some other flaws, this invisible bacteria is surly going to attack your wine and bigger issues will follow.

I will be soon coming out with a product that can sanitize all your bottles using what ever sanitizer you choose. It will use force 40-60 psi of sanitizer solution thru your wine bottle without you using the up and down method of the typical sanitizer.

It literally only takes approx 3-5 seconds to sanitize a bottle if not less !!

I will give a full video of it once I get time - Please be patient as I have a son going to college and graduating as an Eagle Scout - but I and others have been using this product for many years now !

I will keep you updated or you can always PM me to be one of the first to try

Latest posts

Back