Pulverization extraction technique

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap Puncher

Reaction score
So I received a general email from thebeveragepeople.com talking about extracting the most out of your grapes. They mentioned “pulverization” as an extraction technique. I have never really heard of this approach. Has anyone done this technique with good results?

I would imagine that it would just be the skins you would want to do it to. See from the email below:

Pulverization

A less-common approach to speeding the skin extraction is pulverization of a small portion of the skins. This approach has been tried and recommended by a local winemaking consultant, Clark Smith. Using a hand-held stick blender, a small portion of the cap is blended for immediate and complete maceration of that portion. Now, proceed as usual in all other ways.

Last edited:
An interesting thought. Possibly the reason it isn’t popular is that pulverizing the seeds will lead to bitterness in the wine.

That being said, wine kits now come with skin packs. There might be some seeds in with the skins, but that is where I would try it. Maybe a food processor? Another thought, country wine makers know the benefit in freezing fruit to release more juice, and possibly more color. If you freeze your skin packs maybe there is no need to pulverize them. Enzymes also are probably more cost efficient than the cost/risk of pulverizing.

Why wouldn’t a commercial winery spend the cost to separate seeds from skins and give it a go?

I think I would just punch down more
I don't disagree, enzymes and more punches may get you there. I more so want to know if anyone has tried this pulverization technique with good result (or tried at all)?

It may change something with a lot of the skin tannins/ anthocyanins being released at one time at the beginning of fermentation rather than gradually over fermentation. Obviously this wine consultant thinks it has merit or wouldn't be recommending it.

Also, it could be a technique for low intervention winemakers that don't want to add enzymes.

An interesting thought. Possibly the reason it isn’t popular is that pulverizing the seeds will lead to bitterness in the wine.

That being said, wine kits now come with skin packs. There might be some seeds in with the skins, but that is where I would try it. Maybe a food processor?
My question if geared towards fresh grapes/frozen must rather than skin packs (if one is using skins pack, maybe it could work).

Latest posts

Back