Problem with Elderberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banannabiker

Reaction score
I am fairly new to the wine making world, and new to this forum-so I don't know how to search to see if this question has been asked before. I picked enough Elderberries a few weeks to make a couple of gallons of wine. I wound up short by about a pound, so supplimented blue berries for the last pound (hopefully that wasn't a no-no). Anyway-when the SG reached 1.00, I decanted into a couple of gallon jugs, but found that there were small green "tar balls" stuck to the sides of my fruit bag, and even some of the goo on the sides of the fermentation bucket. There weren't a lot of them, but maybe enough to fill the bottom half of a sewing thimble. They were extreemely sticky (and green). I at first thought that maybe this was from a few green berries that might have made it into the mix, but later got to thinking that possibly it was from the few small stems that I know made it into the batch. I didn't think they would hurt anything-because I figured they would stay intact as a stem...but now I believe these might have been the culprit. Has anyone had a similar experience, or can you shed some light on this?

Thanks-Ron

The dreaded green goo, its not water soluable so you have to first dissolve it in veg oil, then wash off the oil with some hot soap and water. You can float the green berries out next time by washing the berries in a bucket of cold water and letting the green berries and bugs float out. how many pounds did you pick?

Crackedcork

I was supposed to have 6 pounds for 2 gallons of wine-3 pounds per gallon by my recipe. I actually got about 4.5 pounds of berries, but forgot to weigh the last batch I put in-so I can only guess. I will definately keep better track of my weights next time. I got out most of the stems-there were only a few of the small ones left in the batch when I got started. I don't remember seeing any green berries actually in the bag, but I'm sure there must have been a few.

Go to CrackedCork's web site and read about elderberries... it will inspire you!! I am hooked on them. Scout them out in the spring when they are in bloom.... you'll be surprised where you find them. I have 2 spots now to pick. It's great mixed with sour cherry, raspberry and white grape (Niagara) as well!

Debbie

Thanks for the encouragement. If this batch turns out well, I believe I can pick all I care to next year.

Oh... and it makes GREAT Skeeter Pee.... you can go to skeeterpee.com to read about it!! It's mentioned here too. Easy and cheap!!

Debbie

Hi banannabiker,

Welcome to winemakingtalk. Can you post up your complete recipe and the procedures you followed? We cannot give you any guidance if we do not know what you did. I noticed that you said you "decanted" your wine to gallon jugs, did you actually pour it in or did you rack (siphoned) it in? These are the things we need to know to help you along.

I see your point-but unfortunately I am sitting in the middle of the gulf of Mexico on an oil platform, and all my notes are sitting at home. I will have to get back with you on that in a little over a week. Thanks for the reply.

I see your point-but unfortunately I am sitting in the middle of the gulf of Mexico on an oil platform, and all my notes are sitting at home. I will have to get back with you on that in a little over a week. Thanks for the reply.

That will be fine, once you post that up, we can help you tweak your wine. One thing that most people don't understand is wine can be very forgiving. I have only had to throw out one wine and that was watermelon. Watermelon spoils very quickly and it is pretty much hit and miss when making.

Elderberry/Blueberry is very good that is the way I am going to make it this year and don't forget to make some Elderberry Blush Julie has that recipe

I was an instrumentation technicial for several years before becoming an HSE advisor. I work 14 days on and 14 days off, on a fixed platform about 50 miles off the mouth of the Mississippi river.

Back