Primary ferm. - I think it's fine; hubby doesn't

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneergirl

Reaction score
new to forum; making first kit; original thread under rjspagnols grand cru merlot. been in bucket since sunday night at 68 degrees; it's winter; we don't blast the heater all day...there are tiny tiny bubbles coming up the throat of the bung/airlock thingy and everynow and then a big bubble escapes the lock. I think it's all good.

This morning my husband said I needed to call the wine store becuase it's not foaming and about to explode??? He doesn't think it's active enough. Not bubbling enough...I suggested we could take a sample and do a OG read but I guess he was't that concerned then becuase he didn't pry the lid off.

Again, I disagree, I think many-lots of tiny bubbles the size of a pin head shows an appropriate fermentation at the temperature being held at. I plan on leaving in for the 14 days as recommended anyway. Who's right???:i

(my son wants to add some smileys: so here they are :se :c :gb)

Bubbles at this stage show that it is fermenting. (Later on, they would be gas escaping the wine.) The lower temp (although it's not terribly low) will slow the fermentation, but I'd say you've got a decent ferment happening.

If your husband wants the explosion, we can arrange that. But he has to promise to do ALL the cleanup by himself. :w

OG means original gravity. You should have taken that before pitching the yeast. You are correct, the only way to be certain that the wine is fermenting is to take another Specific Gravity reading.

Steve

Good morning. If I was making this wine, I'd warm it up to the mid 70's, unsnap the lid (cover it with a towel) and give it a little stir. I think it will become more active. Have you checked the SG? Both initial and now. Good Luck!

Whoops, learning the terms. The original gravity was 1.09. I have not done anything since putting it in the wet bar area Sunday night - which is off the kitchen; no heater vent there. It has remained at approx. 68 degrees. Hubby mentioned fermentation concern yesterday night too; I suggested to move near a heater vent in kitchen across from most animal activity - it's a big kitchen/greatroom, but then he was concerned because of the dog and canary in the general vicinity (Did I mention the 3 boys in the "vicinity" too?). He thought this was too much chance for contamination!

I suggested moving to laundry room, where the beer is (but that is supposed to be around 65 degrees) and open up the vent there. Nope, no good. Any other place has carpet; so those won't do.

Anyway, since it's closed tight in the bucket with an airlock; I don't see any issue with giving it a stir and then moving it into the kitchen area nearer to a vent - approx 12 ft away from a small canary cage? Of course the dogs and kids are still around the area. Does anyone see a problem with this? The wet bar, where it currently is is right off the kitchen/cooking area but no hardly moves through that area through to dining room...just farther away from "the others".

I bet thats almost done now. I will suggest in you getting a brew belt which will keep your temps where they should be especially since you are going to need to degas this wine and doing at 68 isnt going to do a good job at all! You really need to get the temp up around 75 to degas properly and only then when degassed will your wine clear properly as the trapped C02 will keep sediment in suspension. You really need to check the gravity to know where your wine is at!

I bet thats almost done now. I will suggest in you getting a brew belt which will keep your temps where they should be especially since you are going to need to degas this wine and doing at 68 isnt going to do a good job at all! You really need to get the temp up around 75 to degas properly and only then when degassed will your wine clear properly as the trapped C02 will keep sediment in suspension. You really need to check the gravity to know where your wine is at!

I talked with my husband (while he's on the road) and told him that I put our debate on the forum. Gave him the feedback about the temps probably should be higher and the stirring and what not. He, too, suggested the brew belt - which of course I don't have at this moment (and the homebrewstuff store wasn't opened yet this morning as I passed by for carpool!). I went ahead and moved it near the vent and kicked the heater up a little. I will check the gravity later today - maybe by then I'll pass the home brew store.

PG, I think you will see more activity now that it is near the vent. I do suggest taking an SG reading just to see where you are relative to your initial reading, i.e. 1.090. Stirring the wine would also help to resuspend yeast that has dropped to the bottom and is resting.

With the kids and dogs I would keep the lid on the primary at least partly snapped down. Normally I just lay a tea towel over it then cover with the lid. Lid snapped down will keep the kids, dogs, some of the dirt, dust and whatever from kids and dogs and most of the dog hair out. Been there, LOL, Arne.

Phew! Thanks for the reassurance Arne - I was thinking it would be an impossibility if I were required to have "clean room" type requirements! Although my husband, Ron, said this was going to be my baby, my project; he's requested that I wait 'till he comes home from business trip so that he can "supervise" the opening, stirring and measuring of the gravity and such (makes me laugh) -- So, tonight I will be opening it up to stir and whatnot. However, since moving near the vent and turning heater up; the temp gauge on outside is between 70-75 degrees and it has been very active - I suppose the agitation from moving it over there helped too. Will check back in after the stirring and reading...

PioneerGirl, this is how this works, you are the toady where beer making is concerned but where wine making is concerned, your husband is the toady. In other words he takes directions from you! :)

Phew! Thanks for the reassurance Arne - I was thinking it would be an impossibility if I were required to have "clean room" type requirements! Although my husband, Ron, said this was going to be my baby, my project; he's requested that I wait 'till he comes home from business trip so that he can "supervise" the opening, stirring and measuring of the gravity and such (makes me laugh) -- So, tonight I will be opening it up to stir and whatnot. However, since moving near the vent and turning heater up; the temp gauge on outside is between 70-75 degrees and it has been very active - I suppose the agitation from moving it over there helped too. Will check back in after the stirring and reading...

Ya, he wants to be home to supervise. Supervise the tasting. LOL, Arne.

LOL Arne!!!

So, this morning (after bottling 1st batch of beer) we opened up the wine. It was bubbling all over the top and the SG was 1.022 (final to be .998 or lower per instructions). Gave a quick stir and replaced lid. I think the temperature was holding back the fermentation - but I'll keep the heat up. It tasted good too, so far.

QUESTION: Ron went local brew store to discuss the initial low activity and told the guy that the yeast packet included in kit wa EC1118. The winestore told Ron that yeast was a champagne yeast and was surprised that was the yeast that was included in kit. Ron went ahead and purchased 2 yeast packets (just in case we needed it) - 1-EC1118 and the some other one I didn't look at. What opinion does anyone have on the yeast that was included in this merlot kit? It's Grand Cru merlot kit - I have another specific thread under the wine kit section for RJ Spagnols tandem with this thread...

Wine kits almost always have Lalvin EC1118 or Red Star Premier Cuvee. These are the go to yeast that have the least failures in getting the job done!!! Since kit manufacturers guaranty these kits that want to make sure they dont have to replace anything and thus supply each kit with one of these yeasts. They are good in most temp ranges also meaning that even though they specify a temp range in the instructions they know that not everyone can or do achieve these temps and supply you with a yeast that will work to most ranges although the yeast will perform slower or faster accordingly. There are yeasts out there that are better suited to each type of wine but since these are processed concentrates you wont achieve all of what each varietal has to offer because of that as these concentrates are already pre-adjusted to achieve max flavor. You will though get subtle differences experimenting with different yeasts, just make sure you use a yeast that an handle the amount of abv for each occasion. There are a very few kits out there that stray from these 2 yeasts and I believe they are Restricted Quantity kits meaning they are only offered once a year as a specialty wine and these kits are typically top notch kits sourced from very good vineyards.

The wine kit manufacturers have a lot more experience with getting your kit to finish out correctly than an individual local store. Use what was sent for best results. Like Wade said, you can try for something else when you get enough experience. But for now, stick with the one that came with the kit. I doubt there is anything wrong with it. Please just get a specific gravity reading and then you will have more information to make an informed decision.

QUESTION: Ron went local brew store to discuss the initial low activity and told the guy that the yeast packet included in kit wa EC1118. The winestore told Ron that yeast was a champagne yeast and was surprised that was the yeast that was included in kit. Ron went ahead and purchased 2 yeast packets (just in case we needed it) - 1-EC1118 and the some other one I didn't look at. What opinion does anyone have on the yeast that was included in this merlot kit? It's Grand Cru merlot kit - I have another specific thread under the wine kit section for RJ Spagnols tandem with this thread...
Maybe one day you'll be able to go to a store where the guy actually makes the wine kits.

The only yeast I have seen in an RJ Spagnols kit (including Grand Cru) is EC-1118 (and I sold RJS kits from 2001 to 2007), and just started an RJS kit this week. Yes it is a champagne yeast. Champagne is a region of France. That region is where the yeast came from initially, and where Champagne the wine comes from.

EC-1118 is a very good yeast for kits, especially for those new to the hobby.

EDIT: I should have mentioned that wine yeasts in general, and EC-1118 in particular, are low-foaming, especially as compared to beer yeasts. That's part of the reason that I say "Visual signs of fermentation are highly overrated". Check the sg, it's the only way to be sure.

Steve

Last edited:
The range for the yeast is about 68-72, but reds like a little more than whites. I put a few lamps in the room and it usually comes up pretty fast.

Cpfan and saddlebronze and others: thanks for the feedback on the yeast question....husband and I get into some interesting debates....I am the agriculture major, he is the Rhetoric (B.S.) major and I don't mean "science". :) I do so much food preservation and whatnot (we must keep each other in check). I mentioned that to my husband: Do the guys at the store really even know what they are talking about? (it seems to me more of a beer brewing store) - probably not. Shared with him the feedback you all gave here. Everything looks good so far. I went "ghetto fabulous" and put a heating pad underneath the bucket too; just in case. Sorry, comparing to the carboy wraps and whatnot - that's what it virtually is! And if the romans can make wine, so can I. I have the bucket reading at a soft 72 degrees. I think that is good. Like I said, it's winter here and the house is soooo hot with the setting at 70 degrees! Earlier today the SG was 1.022 so I believe we are still heading in the right direction. (and I have to say, I already just love the group here!).

pioneer girl, I share the 'ghetto fabulous' method of using a heating pad in the cooler part of the winter to keep things going.

I just wrap it in a towel to help prevent the sharp edges of the bucket from crimping or damaging the heating wires inside it.

Glad to hear things are going well now!

Latest posts

Back