Prickly pear wine changed color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
When I bottled my finished prickly pear wine, it was a very dark magenta color that light would barely pass through. Now that it's aged a few months the color is more like that of a blush. What gives? I put two campden tabs in since it was a one gallon batch like I normally do before bottling. I havnt tasted it but I assume it tastes ok. What gives?

You mention that the wine was a dark magenta color that the light would barely pass thru....with the shift of color in the bottle is the clarity improved? If so, my guess is, your wine was not done clearing. Any sediment dropping in the bottles?

Does your campden package indicate to dose at 2 tabs per gallon or is that just a choice you make? I have seen Campden leech the color away, so it could be "overdose" situation.

Is there any chance your wine is oxidizing? I have seen wine lighten and darken due to oxidization, or sunlight exposure.

Last edited:
There is no additional sediment in the bottle. Not sure about oxidation, but it's corked and has very little headspace. I thought the campden took care of oxidation? I've never seen color leech before but I've never made prickly pear wine either. I've been worried that one campden before bottling is not enough because some of those wines taste "off" so I started doing two before bottling as recommended by my reference books. Didn't have an issue until now. It's just so drastic.

My campden dose is usually one tablet every OTHER racking and two at bottling.

Latest posts

Back