Pre frement K-menta OD

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXfanatic

Reaction score
Pre ferment K-menta OD

I big think I have blundered big time....In my haste to get a variety fruit wine started I must have not washed all of the K-menta out of the primary. As I stirred the rest of the ingredients in I did notice a strong smell of it. I already had the yeast re-hydrated so I added it thinking maybe it'll work. As i am here asking the professionals you know it didn't. The yeast did not take off at all.

My questions are now what? Is there a way to remove the K menta? I would hate to dump it if there is a possibility to save it.

By the way. I started it (or tried to) on 07/18/2014. Today after a vigiorus stir I can still smell the K menta

Thanks in advance
Steve

Kmeta will lessen with lots of stirring. Generally one on purpose adds Kmeta, waits 24 hrs, then adds the yeast. What I would do is stir the dickens out of that must for the next 12 hrs, making a yeast starter during that time so that when you have beat all out that you can you will be ready to add the already flourishing yeast colony. You didn't say which yeast you were using, but use a strong one like D47, 1116 or 1118. It will probably start just fine, and if it doesn't you know you did all you could.

Pam in cinti

For your starter, use some warm water or maybe apple juice. Add some sugar to the water, maybe a tbs to a couple of cups, a pinch of nutrient and add the yeast. Let it sit for a while til it takes off and is fermenting fairly good, then add a cup of your must. (liquid from your primary) Let it sit til it gets going good again and add another cup of the must. Do this a couple times and then you can add to your primary. It should take off in a day or two. This will give the yeast a chance to get used to the ingredients in the must. Good luck with it, Arne.

Thank you both for your suggestions

I stirred the daylights out of it last night and again this morning. I could smell a light odor of K menta Not nearly what it was.

I'll give it whipping again the AM and see about getting it started in the evening

Thanks
Steve

Back