Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We've had the house opened up again yesterday and today. Redbuds are coming into bloom. Friday is our average last frost day – er, it once was!

IMG_3888.JPG

Northern friends are posting daffodils just now blooming and saying how early they are. Ours are fully mature and soon to be past.

IMG_3890.JPG

Been going around and around designing a kitchen, our project for this year. I'll do the demo, wiring, wall paneling, room prep and flooring. Since it's an old house, I know there will be surprises, and I'd rather deal with them upfront than have a cabinet crew get here, find them, and stop work. Three hours face to face and a few days of emails, and we are getting very close to a final now, finally. The actual work could take 4-8 weeks. I have already heard from friends who have been through this that it's not unusual for the design not to fit together perfectly the first time they come to install, and to expect a mistake or two. Oh, that will be a fun time!

finaljim1.PNG

We've had the house opened up again yesterday and today. Redbuds are coming into bloom. Friday is our average last frost day – er, it once was!

View attachment 110921

Northern friends are posting daffodils just now blooming and saying how early they are. Ours are fully mature and soon to be past.

View attachment 110923

Been going around and around designing a kitchen, our project for this year. I'll do the demo, wiring, wall paneling, room prep and flooring. Since it's an old house, I know there will be surprises, and I'd rather deal with them upfront than have a cabinet crew get here, find them, and stop work. Three hours face to face and a few days of emails, and we are getting very close to a final now, finally. The actual work could take 4-8 weeks. I have already heard from friends who have been through this that it's not unusual for the design not to fit together perfectly the first time they come to install, and to expect a mistake or two. Oh, that will be a fun time!

View attachment 110924
I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of the last year. Warm spring convincing all the trees and vines to start their annual cycle. Then freezing weather in late May. Last year we got a hard freeze on May 22nd, past our last frost date of the 15th. Apples and pears already had fruit set, so we lost those. Vines where well past bud break, so all of that new growth wilted back. Even lost a couple of new vines that thought it was ok to start the season. It will be 71 today...

I'm hoping we don't have a repeat of the last year. Warm spring convincing all the trees and vines to start their annual cycle. Then freezing weather in late May. Last year we got a hard freeze on May 22nd, past our last frost date of the 15th. Apples and pears already had fruit set, so we lost those. Vines where well past bud break, so all of that new growth wilted back. Even lost a couple of new vines that thought it was ok to start the season. It will be 71 today...

That's what usually happens here, but this year it has really been pretty straight ahead. Had a couple of frosty nights Sunday and Monday but otherwise no worries. Good luck. It sucks to lose blossoms, for sure.

80 here tomorrow...unbelievable.

Last edited:

View attachment 110921

View attachment 110923

View attachment 110924

Where's the wine fridge? :)

Elderberries. Well, that was easy!
Cut a couple branches a few months ago. 3 failures, 25 growing.

View attachment 110939
Good work, Dave. Did you use a rooting hormone? What is in your soil mixture? I assume you are planning an Elderberry patch. We made a lot of jelly when I was a kid. Do you make wine from the berries or just add them as a background flavor?

Good work, Dave. Did you use a rooting hormone? What is in your soil mixture? I assume you are planning an Elderberry patch. We made a lot of jelly when I was a kid. Do you make wine from the berries or just add them as a background flavor?
This was actually a test. Half were put in water and transferred to Burpee organic seed starting mix as soon as I saw a root. The other half got rooting hormone and into the seed starting mix. All the failures were with the rooting hormone!

Last year I used a mix of fresh and dried elderberries because I knew my fresh harvest wouldn't be enough. A dedicated elderberry, some added to blackberry, some added to a port. I'm thinking in 2-3 years I might be drowning in elderberries!😅

Elderberries. Well, that was easy!
Cut a couple branches a few months ago. 3 failures, 25 growing.

View attachment 110939

I did the same with some of my 16-foot trailer load of blueberry cuttings. I have two pails going. They will be planted by my sister-in-law, who wanted some. Not my first time. I have even succeeded in really wet years with just cutting them off at an angle and pushing them into the wet soil where I want them to grow. I don't use root promoter. Potting mix for these is half vermiculite and half cactus potting soil. It takes 3 months for blueberry cuttings to establish root systems. The interesting thing for me is that the branches were cut off more than a week before I went out and snipped these starters. Since they are inside, they are ahead of the outdoor blueberry patch.

IMG_3891.JPG

I did the same with some of my 16-foot trailer load of blueberry cuttings. I have two pails going. They will be planted by my sister-in-law, who wanted some. Not my first time. I have even succeeded in really wet years with just cutting them off at an angle and pushing them into the wet soil where I want them to grow. I don't use root promoter. Potting mix for these is half vermiculite and half cactus potting soil. It takes 3 months for blueberry cuttings to establish root systems. The interesting thing for me is that the branches were cut off more than a week before I went out and snipped these starters. Since they are inside, they are ahead of the outdoor blueberry patch.

View attachment 110950
@jswordy @BigDaveK

Have you ever tried propagating Magnolia? I am trying to start some at present from older cuttings. The branches are still pliable, not dried out and have buds on their ends. Most of this was caused by deer. I just have them in water at present but I am thinking of a soil preparation. Any recommendations on what to use or how to mix it?

@BigDaveK
This was actually a test. Half were put in water and transferred to Burpee organic seed starting mix as soon as I saw a root. The other half got rooting hormone and into the seed starting mix. All the failures were with the rooting hormone!

Last year I used a mix of fresh and dried elderberries because I knew my fresh harvest wouldn't be enough. A dedicated elderberry, some added to blackberry, some added to a port. I'm thinking in 2-3 years I might be drowning in elderberries!😅
When you get to that point notify me. I'll come over and toss you a life preserver and help you with the overload.

I have been working in the yard, doing Spring chores like pruning, cleaning up the beds, fertilizing. My Daffodils are looking very nice this year but I have a question for all you "Green Thumbs" out there. Look at this shot and you will see a nice clump of Daffodils in the foreground. Now, look at the background and you will see a single stalk all by itself next to a Hydrangea. How could this have happened? I plant bulb in groups and I did not plant one in that area. The only thing I can come up with is there was a Daffodil bulb in the container when I bought the Hydrangea. I don't think they propagate from seeds or do they?

100_2138.JPG

@jswordy @BigDaveK

Have you ever tried propagating Magnolia? I am trying to start some at present from older cuttings. The branches are still pliable, not dried out and have buds on their ends. Most of this was caused by deer. I just have them in water at present but I am thinking of a soil preparation. Any recommendations on what to use or how to mix it?
I have never tried doing magnolias, but the cactus soil mixed with vermiculite makes a nice loose soil that roots can easy travel in. It stays damp well. I imagine potting soil and vermiculite would be the same. With the blueberries, I just cut the bottom at an angle and make sure one or two nodes are also below soil depth.

I have been working in the yard, doing Spring chores like pruning, cleaning up the beds, fertilizing. My Daffodils are looking very nice this year but I have a question for all you "Green Thumbs" out there. Look at this shot and you will see a nice clump of Daffodils in the foreground. Now, look at the background and you will see a single stalk all by itself next to a Hydrangea. How could this have happened? I plant bulb in groups and I did not plant one in that area. The only thing I can come up with is there was a Daffodil bulb in the container when I bought the Hydrangea. I don't think they propagate from seeds or do they?

View attachment 110972

Got squirrels? Chipmunks? Raccoons? Even some large birds like crows can move them.

@jswordy @BigDaveK

My gut tells me that might be tricky with older cuttings but best of luck! If I were to try I think I would do air-layering and/or ground-layering.

If you have a willow tree, small pieces in the water will help the magnolia root. It's like a natural root hormone. Works great! In fact I've propagated willow from cuttings - they're easier than brambles!

View attachment 110972
I think they're from seed. Every year I have a couple new patches.

Couple years ago I wanted to move a bunch in an inconvenient spot. Yeow, those bulbs are deep!

Getting closer. There are hours in this as it is, and it is not done yet.

View attachment 110973
Hours on the design? You cannot spend too much time on the design process. When I was planning the MIL apartment my wife asked me why it was taking so long to do a drawing and I told her it only took a few hours but I was on design number 40 (at least).

Got squirrels? Chipmunks? Raccoons? Even some large birds like crows can move them.
Never considered squirrels. That makes more sense than anything else. Have lots of them. That could be it. I plan to get it out of that location and when I move it I will check the depth. I don't imagine squirrels plant them very deep and I plant them at 6-8".

Latest posts

Back