Post a photo, any photo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least Long Shadows winery in Walla Walla has them inside!

1688395526717.png

I think "Pricey" is quite the understatement and yes, they are mostly outside, some are in a building, but the vast majority were outside. And I had exactly the same thought, while looking at them, Missouri has been known to see hail and the Garden Area must have had a terrible wind storm recently, there were limbs cut up and down all over the grounds.

My sister is visiting for the 34th year in a row that she has come to spend July 4th. She lives in Los Angeles. Today I took her out to the coast line on the Olympic peninsula.

A few pics from the day:

View attachment 102995View attachment 102996View attachment 102997View attachment 102998View attachment 102999View attachment 103000
Nice to see black and white pics for a change. Lots of pics are beautiful in colour, but for atmosphere you can't beat black and white!

I've never seen railings done that way. Up here all the decks have the typical vertical balusters with a 4 or 6" top rail. Is that style customary down there or is that something you came up with?

This is a new thing that's gaining ground. Gives lots more visibility when you are seated and a different appearance. Look up stock panel deck railing on Youtube. They way I am doing it is my own design. I haven't put the railing caps on yet. They will be 2x4s.

You can actually buy this wire stuff branded from Lowe's or Home Depot or online for three times the price I paid. I just went to the farm supply and bought goat panels. Openings are 4" x 4" so they meet code. Cattle or hog wire won't. Since this is the new thing now, those panels are now way more expensive than the 6" x 6" stock panels – about double the price.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 5.57.34 PM.png

My biggest problems now are rain and commitments taking away time from the project.

Last edited:
View attachment 103021

Not such a happy 4th for me... bear got into our yard and destroyed our beloved sour cherry tree. The main trunk is completely split in two so I don't think it can be saved... 😢
I see a tall fence… did the bear come over it? I’m going to be putting one up around the vineyard and garden. I was going to add an electric wire on the outside for raccoon control

I see a tall fence… did the bear come over it?
Yes. I caught them (there were two!) in the act last year, they were able to climb up one of the wooden fence post braces and get over. Not sure what else to do... I don't love the idea of an electric fence and I don't think barbed wire would dissuade them (plus I don't want my home to look like a prison yard...) Maybe some of those spikes that you can get to keep birds off things?

Late in the summer, we can often hear what sounds like a cannon going off every 20 minutes or so from the ridge opposite. I spoke to a vineyard manager last year who said that it was her vineyard, the noise is supposed to scare the bears off. Not sure it works because she said that their usual 3-4 ton yield was reduced to 1/2 ton last year due to bear damage...

IMG_9319.jpeg
Something got in our garden last night too. There we two others that were half eaten but these just have one bite out of them. From the shape of the bites I’m thinking armadillo but suppose it could be a raccoon. I picked every one that was even close to ripe cause once you have a taste for home grown tomatoes…

Maybe some of those spikes that you can get to keep birds off things?

Maybe people know it or maybe not...
Buddy turned me on to a pneumatic nailer and 1/4 wood strips. The nailer shoots the nails right through the wood. If you space them right they make a great bird deterrent. He used it on his front porch door. I use them on the roof of the school we own.

Latest posts

Back