possible 2nd ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jneureuther

Junior
Reaction score
I made my first cabernet sauvignon in October. The fermentation was done pretty quickly. I like to bulk age, in the carboy, and now it's time to taste ( of course ) and then bottle. I felt a tiny bit of bubbling on my tongue, so I racked it and degassed with a whip. It is now 2 weeks later and the pop up in my airlock is still pressed up against the top. Could it possibly still be doing a slow ferment? I whipped it for at least 5 minutes, and have released the airlock a dozen times.

Thanks, Jimmy

it could still be degassing or going through a spontaneous MLF. do you see any small bubbles rising to the neck? if not it is slowly degassing and the positive pressure keeps the airlock against the top. if MLF wait until it stops or it will create bubbles in the bottle. do you have a measurement of the Ph when ferment was finished? is so compare to a recent value. if a few points different MLF is cause , if the same degassing still going on.

Latest posts

Back