Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I thought I read here in a thread somewhere that Port may have some residue settle at the bottom of the bottle and that you store your bottle of Port standing up as opposed to laying the bottle down in a rack.
I currently have my port bottles laying in a rack. How do others here store their port?

I store my port sideways on a rack and if there is any sediment I just stir it back in before opening as its so dark that no one would notice anyway.

I store my port on its side as well. I haven't noticed any floaters in any of the port kits(WE Speciale x1, RJ Spag Orange Chocolate x2, WE Choc. Rasp x1). I have noticed that when I used one set of the tasting T-corks, that I had a couple of leakers due to a burr on the rim of the bottle, which created a way for the port to leak out past the cork and through the shrink-wrap. I've since gone back to the regular corks for long-term storage and a separate tasting-cork or vacuum sealing cork for once a bottle is opened.

If you go somewhere that you can buy good Port, check out the bottles. The good ones will have a "bubble" in the neck. The purpose of this bubble is to catch the sediment so that it doesn't go into your glass.

My point is, if you can find some of these bottles then you are in luck. I've been collecting bottles for quite some time and only have 3 like this. I have not found any place where you can just buy them.

Personally I would store them on their sides just for the sake of keeping the cork sealed regardless of what bottle you use.

Hell I can't keep any long enough to have to worry about storing it
smiley36.gif

lol, Waldo, you crack me up, dude.
I will leave my Port in the racks. I would love to find the bottles Whino was talking about with the "bubble" in the neck.
Thank you all for the advice. It was well taken.

Back