Port style kits 2015

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coffee port

basic format for this kit........:wy.the instant coffee goes in the secondary along with the wine tannins,this then builds structure and good body to the finished product, just my way of thinking outside the box.

Cru Coffee Port Kit

The box includes the following:
·Large bag of juice
·2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
·1 Coffee Port F-Pack
·Package of bentonite
·Package of Metabisulphite
·Package of Potassium Sorbate
·Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
·Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
·Instant Coffee
·Spring Water

Tools you will need:
·Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
·Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
·Measuring cup
·Hydrometer and test jar
·Thermometer
·Wine thief
·Siphon rod and hose
·Carboy (3 US gallon capacity)
·Bung and Air lock
·Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
·Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One-step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
·Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
·15 wine bottles, 15 corks , 15 seals
·Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)

The Process:
·As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself.
·Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
·We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
·Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
·Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
·We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
·Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

After it ferments dry: (Approx. 2 weeks)
  • After it fermented dry (SG: 0.98) we racked it into our secondary, 3 gallon fermentation carboy.
  • We had to take out approx. 1.5 wine bottles of wine out of the carboy so that we will have room for the coffee F-pack.We set that aside with an air-lock. If when we rack the wine again and we come up short and have extra air-space, we will add it.
  • We checked the ph of the wine and it is at 3.5 which is perfect for this type of port.
  • We added the sorbate, K-met packet, and gave it a good stir.
  • Next, we added packet #1 (of the 2 packet combination) of Kieselsol and set our time for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, we add packet #2 of Kieselsol and stirred again. (Learning tip: The reason for the 5 minute wait time is you are waiting for the molecules from packet #1 to bind to certain molecules in the wine. The second packet will bind to the molecules in the first packet and then the clearing process starts. (Positive and negative particles will attract, become heavy, and fall to the bottom of the carboy, taking the sediment with it.)
  • Next, we added the Coffee F-Pak. Note: Not all of the F pack fit into my 3-gallon carboy. I should have taken out possibly 2 bottles of extra wine instead of 1.5. I put the extra F-pak in the refrigerator. When I rack this again to a final mixing bucket I will add everything to the bucket and give it a good stir.

1 Ingridients.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

11 pitch yeast.jpg

12or Port Racking (1).jpg

IMG_20140920_110212516.jpg

Last edited:
Would it work if I would make the primary in a 16 litre bucket, rack to the 10 litre bucket or three imperial gallon carboys and then when chaptalizing add them to the original bucket?

Ferment in the 16 liter bucket. You chapitalize during fermentation, so no racking to gallon carboys yet.

You can rack to the gallon carboys, let it sit, and the rack back to the 16 liter bucket when you add the f-pack.

Started the WE chocolate raspberry today, mouth is watering just thinking about it.:D

My coffee and raspberry mocha have shipped. It'll be a few weeks before I have any space to start them.

This is year three for making the coffee port. That is the one thing that everyone, no matter if they even like wine, loves and wants more of. Over coffee port is where I invariably have the conversation about why I can't sell them any. :)

Last edited:
Just tasted my RJs Black Forest its in carboy started this time last year it's time! Time to bottle its yummy!

I made that one last year, added vanilla and heavy toast oak spirals, and it is super.

How much of each and did you do the rest of the kit per the instructions? If so, what was all your sg readings?

How much of each and did you do the rest of the kit per the instructions? If so, what was all your sg readings?

Added (1) tablespoon toasted oak powder in primary. Added (1) heavy toast oak spiral during aging. Added vanilla just prior to bottling.

I would have to look back at my records for the SGs.

Added (1) tablespoon toasted oak powder in primary. Added (1) heavy toast oak spiral during aging. Added vanilla just prior to bottling.

I would have to look back at my records for the SGs.

I was wondering about the gravitys since there's a lot of people that have trouble fermenting these kits out.

port style kits

This is my typical starting sg. For these kits THESE KITS CAN HANDLE THE ABV,BOOST DO TO THE FPAC AND THE BALANCE OF OAK AND OAK TANNINS,THE COFFEE PORT HAS WON 3 BEST OF SHOW AND 5 GOLDS, THE CARAMEL HAS WON 2 SECOND PLACES .THESE KITS LIKED TO BE TWEAKED AND SET UP GREAT IN ABOUT 4 MOS. OF AGING IF YOU CAN WAIT THAT LONG.

8 sg reading.jpg

Last edited:
Coffee port

the key to good port is capitalization,clearing then add the fpac.

13.jpg

I've so far bottled my Chocolate salted caramel port, and chocolate orange port. I find the flavouring a little bit too subtle. The chocolate orange port tastes very similar to the salted caramel in my opinion. Could have used more content in the F-pack.

Latest posts

Back