Port kit recomendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmke

Reaction score
I found an LHBS that has some port kits in stock. Any thoughts on these:

WE Chocolate Salted Caramel
WE Orange Chocolate

RJS Coffee
RJS Orange Chocolate
RJS Raspberry Mocha

All are $105 each (on-line price, might be cheaper in store), and might come with a free case of wine bottles (750 ml).

I've made the WE Chocolate Raspberry three or four times and the Salted Caramel once. I've tasted the WE Orange Chocolate made by a friend.

I'm not a huge fan of very sweet wines, but to my taste, I prefer the Chocolate Raspberry hands down over the other two. The salted caramel almost tastes too rich. Like trying to eat too big a piece of fudge, or something. FWIW...

As far as process goes, every time I made the Chocolate Raspberry, the fermentation stuck at some point. The Salted Caramel, however, fermented perfectly. In fact, the two packets of EC1118 chewed up enough sugar to yield an ABV at 19 percent...and I added no extra sugar than what was supplied.

Broke out some of my RJS Orange Chocolate last weekend. It's three and a half years old now and it's awesome.

I bought the RJS Coffee, Orange Chocolate, and Black Forrest. They were out of the WE. $95 each + a case of bottles (750ml) with each kit (+ 1 extra case when you buy 3). Note: The bottles have the champagne bottle lip, and can use regular corks.

The pickup price is lower than the on-line price (MAP).

http://www.dpwigley.com/hoptoit/
Racine, WI

Coffee port

with out a dought coffee port is a proven winner every time.:hb

IMG_20150421_141837952.jpg

IMG_20150421_141925799.jpg

IMG_20150421_141932476.jpg

1.jpg

6.jpg

IMG_20151129_123240761.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the RJS Coffee, Orange Chocolate, and Black Forrest. They were out of the WE. $95 each + a case of bottles (750ml) with each kit (+ 1 extra case when you buy 3). Note: The bottles have the champagne bottle lip, and can use regular corks.

The pickup price is lower than the on-line price (MAP).

http://www.dpwigley.com/hoptoit/
Racine, WI

I think the Black Forest is outstanding.

I've got the chocolate salted caramel port hanging out in secondary right now. I added a scraped vanilla bean and some oak.

I sneak a glass ever so often..you know...quality control and taste testing.

My best friend came over last week and had a glass.
She knows they will be going out as Christmas presents this year and has already put everyone on notice that if she sees theirs, she is taking it.

Latest posts

Back