Please help improve this thin red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatyDinkle

Reaction score
When we moved, I lost track of the info on a 6 gallon carboy of red wine. I rarely make red and only use kits for them. Within my notes, I did find an unidentified kit instruction (I don't know why I didn't record the type) with some notes. I think this is the red I'm dealing with.

Just sampled it and the taste if decent but very thin - feels like water but leaves a nice red wine taste behind.

What can I do to improve it at this point? Here is it's history - I think!

Started kit early October 2013
Racked to carboy early November 2013, SG 1.000
Month later degassed and cleared (kit included kieselsol, chitosan and stabilizer)

Been in carboy - untouched until today - since November 2013

Should I add glycerin?

Thanks for your help.

I would say pour yourself a half glass add one or two drops glycerin mix very well and drink it..compare to without glycerin and see if it will do what you are hoping for.

What if you were to stabilize the wine and then add some fruit concentrate to increase the flavor ? For example, elderberry or cherry juice or some such from something like Vintner's Harvest. The idea is not to add more sugar but more body.

First off, I'm not a fan of glycerin, that is just my personal preference. So my idea is to give it some more mouthfeel without having to use the glycerin. I agree with what Bernard says about adding some fruit concentrate. If nothing else you just might create a blend that you will love. Another thing I would do is take a ph test, your ph should be around 3.4 to 3.6, if it is higher than that add some tartaric acid to bring it down to range. Another think is adding some tannins.

When we moved, I lost track of the info on a 6 gallon carboy of red wine. I rarely make red and only use kits for them. Within my notes, I did find an unidentified kit instruction (I don't know why I didn't record the type) with some notes. I think this is the red I'm dealing with.

Do you at least know the brand?

Steve

Do you at least know the brand?

Steve

There is an 800 number on the instructions which I did call (to determine the kit maker) but they were closed today (Sunday) and the message did not identify the company (strange but true). I'll check tomorrow.

What if you were to stabilize the wine and then add some fruit concentrate to increase the flavor ? For example, elderberry or cherry juice or some such from something like Vintner's Harvest. The idea is not to add more sugar but more body.

Thanks. I think I'll start with this idea and move onto glycerin only if needed.

I'm still aging some cherry wine I made last summer (with fresh fruit). So far, I'm not thrilled with it but maybe I'll try mixing a glass of this with the red before buying fruit concentrate.

Thanks again!

If I were to add fruit I would consider making blacberry wine fro concentrat (1 gallon) and blend later you also could consider gum Arabic over glyceriin

Latest posts

Back