Please Help Apple Wine 2nd attempt!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applewineguy

Reaction score
Im working on a apple wine started it tonight. I juiced 33 lbs of apples and got 2 imperial gallons of juice then topped up to 6 imperial gallons of water for racking top ups. After adding sugar to a SG of 1.090 my Must is sitting at a volume of just under 7 Imp. Gals. I put my pulp in a mesh sack and let it sit in the mixed juice with a starting SG of did i water it down to much and will i even taste the apple when its done fermenting on the pulp bag and juice/water mixture? I will be pitching my yeast tomorrow around noon my time I want the pectic enzyme to have some time to work on breaking down the pulp more. (12 hrs) any answers would be greatly appreciated as I messed up my first batch it was basically alcoholic water lol from diluting it to much during racking and several other mistakes I made as this is only my second attempt. I like to go big or go home so my carboy for secondary fermentation is 23L or 5 Imp. Gallons

-Added yeast tonight and am still awaiting 4 hours in with no sign of fermentation starting. I did follow the packets instructions exactly on re-hydrating the dry yeast so as to not mess anything up. I read it can take 24 hrs to show any signs.....(Primary Fermentation)

Well when I make my apple wine, I do not add any water at all to it. Apple is one of those light flavor fruits that can be diluted fairly quickly. Also, what type of apple did you use. I prefer cooking apples instead of eating apples, the flavor comes thru better.

If could take a few days to start ferment, once it is done fermenting I would make a flavor pack and add that after you stabilize your wine. This will help in adding additional flavor.

Why did you add water to the Juice?
Why did you dilute during racking?
Yeast can take 24-48 hrs to start fermenting, it is probably in the lag phase. Make sure that it isn't in a cold area, this will take even longer to start.
If you list the step by step process, maybe we can help you avoid the same mistakes as the first time.
This community is extremely helpful.

okay so here goes. any recipe i have read for apple wine says for 1 gal batch use 6lbs of apples and dilute with 1 gal of water so on that theory i did such. and I diluted cause juicing 113 apples only gave me 2 imp gals. im not juicing 340 apples round about number..... I used green granny smiths and then some red apples for color and other flavor. Any one I have talked to here in town says im on the right track but who knows. and how do i make a flavor pack?

Pumpkin guy: I havent racked anything.....Im in primary and just pitched my yeast tonight at midnight my time lol its now 4.5 hrs later.....idk how u thought i racked and diluted with water.....I added an extra gal to my must so that I don't have to dilute with water and that i can have a Gal demijohn fermenting in secondary along with my 23L carboy so that when it is time to rack I have top up without having to use marbles or water to top up to neck to prevent oxidization. I have done hours and hours of research and this is all the approach I took based on multiple forums and videos and books.

Also my first attempt I did many little things wrong equaling up to ruining the batch so i chucked it three weeks in and was well aware of everything I did wrong :)

so ya had 2 metric Gallons of juice then added 4 Metric gallons of water and sugar brought it up to a total of 7 Metric gallons from displacement....

You could put that extra gallon in a gallon "growler" and put a a stopper and an airlock on it.

Where are you located? Just curious.

that was the plan but I need to find one they are impossible to come by but I got roughly 5-10 days to find one depending on fermentation otherwise im using a bunch of wine bottles with airlocks hahaha. Im in medicine hat alberta canada.....so do you think I will have enough apple flavor? and that I didnt dilute my apple juice to much?

Find someone that might have an empty 1 gallon wine bottle.
Can you find apple cider there? Without Potassium Sorbate added

I'd use apple cider before I'd use water to dilute.
I gallon wine bottle cleaned and sanitized solves your extra one gallon of must issue.

1 gallon wine bottle cant be very cheap though id imagine?? so you think juiced apples and then dilute the rest with apple cider instead of water to desired batch amount or....?

Latest posts

Back