Plastic Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcritter

Junior
Reaction score
I was reading the other day about plastic carboys. They said not to use for aging because air gets through the plastic. How can that be since plastic is a hard substance or our they talking about the seal. Or is it a old tech and the book out dated. George, I just bought one and plan on aging in it. ???'

Thanks

Bill
smiley4.gif

The plastic bottleslet in a very minute quantity of air. Far less; however,than an oak barrel, so they can be used for bulk aging without any concern regarding air contact.

I haven't had any problems using "plastic carboys" for aging wine in yet, nor have I read or received any scientific evidenceconfirming that the carboys are permeable other than a bad seal at the air lock. Edited by: Maui Joe

For what it's worth...

I just received my second plastic carboy (better bottle). The first has not given me any problems.No after taste to the wine, no lingering odor in the carboy from the wine, and no leakage, in or out while aging.

I've never had a carboy break while moving, but just to be on the safe side, I'm beginning to like the plastic.

My daughter gave me a 5 gallon water jug still full and unopened a few
months ago when we started this Wine journey, it's been in the entryway
for all this time, after reading your posts I decided to put it to
work, it was frozen solid
smiley36.gif
it took two
days to thaw next to the wood stove and thankfully the bottom went back
in!!...LOL I bought a couple of 1 gallon jugs that way a 5 fits good
filled right to the top and put the rest in the 1 gallon and try it out
sooner.
smiley2.gif

(what contest
smiley4.gif
)

Yes, that will work good as long as you get the proportional amount of additives in each container. Good luck.

I'm sorry, I was pointing out in one of my other posts, I use a primary fermenter pail for my secondary, this way I don't have to rack when I mix my stablizer, camden, and clairifier's in, so everything is mixes equally, I'll explain about CO2 in another post elswhere
smiley36.gif

Well is that cheatin or just smart? Remember, the more racking back and forth you do, the more O2 is introduced.

These plastic carboys ya'll are talking about are they the same as the plastic water jugs that you see upside down in water dispencers in doctor's offices and the like.
smiley5.gif

Some are, some are actually made for winemaking. Use them for fermentation only, not aging.

I had a plastic one once.

Throw it away. There are plenty of glass ones out there.

Well MedPretzel you were the one talking about going cheap in another post so if you say throw it away I wont even touch one.
smiley2.gif

oh, yes, I am cheap. But I have to say, it's more expensive to throw away a 5 gallon batch of wine because it tastes "weird" than to buy a glass carboy.

It's happened - I speak from experience.

Hahaha!

No, probably more like to the person who believes she's "above" all rules ("It doesn't apply to me," or "It won't happen to me!" but it somehow does everytime) when it comes to hobbies. I usually think rules are meant to be "revised" in a hobby, but in this one, it's not recommendable. It probably still won't stop me from breaking them again (I never learn, I guess I'm an old dog), but if you want to save yourself some aggravation and money in this hobby, it might be wise to believe what the books say is true.
smiley36.gif

BTW, Glenvall is the guy you gotta bow to if you're bowing to the master. He taught me practically all I know about winemaking.
smiley32.gif

Yes, in this case, I would say yes - stick with glass. You can bottle in anything that has a glass and that can be closed tightly -- beer bottles, wine bottles, etc.

But with the carboys? Stick with the heavy glass ones. There's a great harness for the 5-6 gallon carboys to help with lifting -- if you need them. :)

I keep those harnesses on all my carboys over 3 gallons. They will save alot of wine in the long run is my guess, especially with my big feet.

Latest posts

Back