Planning my juice order and need advice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shen

Reaction score
I'm planning my California juice order from my supplier, and I'm stuck. I've got a Pinot Noir, Zinfandel, and Chinti already started for my reds. I have some Reisling, Steuben, and Red Raspberry coming from NY.

I know I want a California white, but I'm having trouble deciding between the Muscat, Malvasia Bianca, or Trebbiano. Has anyone made any of these? If so, what can you recommend?

Thanks,
-scott

Scott,
Make what YOU like..
Thanks Tom. Some of these I've never heard of. I'm trying to expand my palate by forcing myself to try something new every year. That's why I'm asking for advice on the ones that I've never made.

honesty, I like and would make ALL of them.

BTW consider the wine "profile". Look it up to help make your tastes.

I would suggest you try each of them commercially and then make your decision based on the one you prefer the most.

Shen, I am making Muscat and Malvasia Bianca at present. Both are very nice wines and the MB tends to be a little dryer. Trebbiano is more like Malvasia Bianca than Muscat, but I have never made it (only drunk it!).

My Muscat is a work in progress. I flavored it with an f-pack of Apricot Puree and it got too sweet for me (SG = 1.020) so I am about to put on 5 gallons of straight Muscat, ferment it to as dry as possible and blend it with the Apricot-Muscat.

BTW, I think you have a great array of reds there! :ib

Hi Scott,

I think the Muscat is the most popular of the three that you listed.

I personally really enjoyed trhe Malvasia Bianca. I liked it so much last year I bought 2 thus year. Sad thing is I only have one bottle of last years batch left over. Booo Hoooo

Thanks for the input everyone. I wish I could do them all, however space and funds require me to limit myself. I have chosen the Malvasia Bianca. I'm am planning on finishing it dry, with a little medium toasted oak. Maybe if my supplier makes another run in the spring, I'll try the Muscat.

Thanks again for all the replies.
-scott

So much for that. Looks like they're all sold out of everything except Chablis, and Chardonnay. I ordered 6 gallons of Chardonnay.

So much for that. Looks like they're all sold out of everything except Chablis, and Chardonnay. I ordered 6 gallons of Chardonnay.

Ya snooze you lose.. Maybe you can get some Chilean juice in April.

Ya snooze you lose.. Maybe you can get some Chilean juice in April.

In October my local distributor makes a couple runs to NJ to pick up California Juice, and a couple to Walker's for New York juice. Last run I got my Pinot Noir, but there was a glitch and my Chianti was not on the pallet. It wasn't until after that, that I decided to do a California white, hence the delay. He's supposed to go back to NJ next week, and to Walker's the following week. I never really even considered Chardonnay, but this will be a good experience. I want to try MLF, and this will be a terrific wine for that.

Your boy probably goes to Gino's where I get my juice. Gino's also gets Chilean juice in April. Maybe your guy should call Mike @ Gino's for the Chilean.

Your boy probably goes to Gino's where I get my juice. Gino's also gets Chilean juice in April. Maybe your guy should call Mike @ Gino's for the Chilean.
Thanks Tom. I'll ask him to check into it.

Back