Plain Mead to mix with wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hvac36

Reaction score
Have not made any meads but looking for just a plain sweet mead to mix with a few wines. Riesling 30% mead 70% and a few others. Basic mead recipe for just a mead needed.

3lbs honey = ~ 1 quart

3lbs honey dissolved into 1 gallon of warm/hot water = SG ~ 1.100
(Not boiling hot)

Dilute with a little extra water, to have enough for topping up
(Down to SG 1.085 - 1.090)

Yeast.... 1116, D-47 or the like

Make sure to supply ample yeast nutrient for the yeast chosen, as honey is quite lacking; Aerate very well in the beginning

Ferment on the cool side, longer and slower
Ferment to dry like any other wine

Can sorbate + sweeten, but I would advise to do this post-blending, so as to only sorbate and sweeten the final blend; the individual parts may taste better sweetened to different levels but blending those different sweetness levels doesn't necessarily make a winning combo

3lbs honey = ~ 1 quart

3lbs honey dissolved into 1 gallon of warm/hot water = SG ~ 1.100
(Not boiling hot)

Dilute with a little extra water, to have enough for topping up
(Down to SG 1.085 - 1.090)

Yeast.... 1116, D-47 or the like

Make sure to supply ample yeast nutrient for the yeast chosen, as honey is quite lacking; Aerate very well in the beginning

Ferment on the cool side, longer and slower
Ferment to dry like any other wine

Can sorbate + sweeten, but I would advise to do this post-blending, so as to only sorbate and sweeten the final blend; the individual parts may taste better sweetened to different levels but blending those different sweetness levels doesn't necessarily make a winning combo

Thanks just what I'm looking for. Was at a winery yesterday and they are doing many different flavors and blends.
Their sister winery did a blend of a boca nor with a concord that was amazing 0.5 RS.

So 3 gallon batch would be 9 pounds of honey?

Ish, yeah.. Should be a bit more than 3 gallons, and should end up with 3 gallons in the end.. But like fruit, every honey is different, year to year & location to location.

Latest posts

Back