Pinot Grigio

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
Racked my Cellar Craft Pinot kit and added chemicals as required. Tasted fine but had a stronger champagne taste to it then I expected.... Is this normal and will it mellow with some aging?

Champagne? Sounds like a bonus! I made that one and din't notice anything out of the ordinary. It definitely needs ~6 months to settle down and develop a more mature flavor profile.

Racked my Cellar Craft Pinot kit and added chemicals as required. Tasted fine but had a stronger champagne taste to it then I expected.... Is this normal and will it mellow with some aging?
By champagne, do you mean CO2 bubbles? If so, you need to do some degassing.

Steve

No.... Just more of a champaign taste then I wanted.... Probably too young yet to evaluate.

My first thought also was CO2 fizz. Young wine is going to be much more tart; sort of like eating unripen fruit.

It's still a baby. let it grow up a bit. That wine should be much better in only a few months.

Thanks! Could have been a co2 fizz too?... This tasting was during a racking degas stage.... Like you say. Let it age out.

Ok.. dumb question here I'm sure.. but I like the fizzyness when I've tasted during racking.. will it spoil if you don't degas??

Ok.. dumb question here I'm sure.. but I like the fizzyness when I've tasted during racking.. will it spoil if you don't degas??

It shouldn't spoil. If you put it in regular wine bottles, you stand a risk of blowing the corks as pressure builds. Ususally while you still have the co2 in there there are still suspensions in the wine. After it is degassed most of them will fall out naturally. If you bottle it then, you will probably get a bunch of sediment in your bottles. There are ways of making sparkling wine. You can do it the old fashioned way, fermenting dry and bottling in champaine type bottles with a bit of priming sugar in it, you can keg it and add co2 to it and maybe a couple of others. They have been discussed on here in depth if you look at some of the earlier threads. If you can't find them, start a new one and you should get plenty of help. I havn't done this so can't really tell you what to try. At least I havn't done this on purpose, makes a mess if your wine referments and blows the corks. The three bottles that were left were a nice sparkling apple, tho. Arne.

Latest posts

Back