Pineapple Wine (Pectin)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I have a pineapple wine made from Dole Frozen Pineapple Juice Concentrate that is clearing. It was back-sweetened with 2 cans on the concentrate and now has an obvious pectin haze. How much pectinase do you recommend be added per gallon to remove this haze?

1st did you add any pectin before adding the yeast?
I would add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon. Mix it in water 1st then add.
I hope you added meta and sorbate before adding the concentrate.
Recipe?

Grub, its impossible to tell you unless you tell us what kind of pectinase you are using or how many gallons of wine you got going? It wouldnt hurt to add as much as you did the first time you started the wine, it obviously worked well before it was backsweetened.

Crackedcork

As I have continued to reflect on my question I believe it is impossible to determine the amount because we don't know how much pectin is in the frozen concentrate. So, I will start with 1/2 teaspoon, wait and observe. Thanks.

Smoke:

Of all things, patience will usually make all right.

Don't rush your wine. Give it time to settle out and age.
Add your additives and wait a month or two. As long as you keep the bung in place and maintain the cool temps, you can age your wine for 6 months or more in the carboy.

Rack to another carboy when you see it settleing enough to make a difference.

I make 5 gallon batches only and after fermenting in the primary is complete, transfer to the carboy is done racking once every 30 to 45 days.
I usually don't bottle from the carboy till 6 months or so down the lineand all my two year old fruitwines are perfect.
Even my peach that I didn't use any clearing additives in,cleared up crystal clear after 7 months of settleing and intermittant racking.

I have made, many wines but this one is a bit unusual. I am going to give it time. The worst settling one I ever had was an apple--it took a year to clear completely!

I have a pineapple wine thats been aging 6 months.
My question;
If you were to blend it what would you blend with the pineapple. And, if you did what ratio did you use?
I have my ideas but, I want to hear yours.

Tepe:

I might give a pear a try or perhaps niagara. I would remove a small portion of the pineapple and play a bit with adding a few different wines. I was planning to top up wine with pear but the amount I will use will be inconsequential to the final taste of the pineapple. I look forward to hearing how things turn out for you.

Tepe
I would keep it tropical blending the pineapple with mango, papaya, kiwi all work well as does strawberry. You can even add some light oak to get a bit of coconut in the wine. And then you can always blend it with some coconut rum.

Both good ideas, But I was thinking along of whats either made (fruit wines) or whats aging see below for aging.
What's Fermenting
<HR style="COLOR: #77281c" SIZE=1>

<DIV id=post_message_37306>Aging

6 gal White-Cranberry-Peach
6 gal Pear
6 gal Cranberry-Raspberry
6 gal Pineapple
10 gal Banana
12 gal Pear
6 gal Strawberry
6 gal CA Cabbernet ASauvignon
6 gal CA Pinot Noir
6 gal CA Chianti
6 gal CA Riesling
6 gal CA Viognier
5 gal Carrot
6 gal Italian Verdicchio
6 gal Italian Frascati
6 gal ItalianAmarone
6 gal Italian Nebbilo
6 gal Italian Valpolicello
6 gal Italian Dolcetto
6 gal Apple

That's easy the banana and the strawberry for sure, perhaps some test bottles with some carrot, riesling, viogner and even the chianti,
Don't forget the kit I split up and added the coconut rum to is a banana, pineapple viognier and that has been a hit.

Tepe:

Whatever you choose, I would make small test batches and proceed from there.

vcasey:

The pineapple viognier sounds interesting. I may give that a try myself.

Smokegrub said:
I have made, many wines but this one is a bit unusual. I am going to give it time. The worst settling one I ever had was an apple--it took a year to clear completely!

Apple from fresh apples is very tough even with pectic enzyme. My apple wine still has a haze but it's finally starting to clear out. The first couple of rackings had inches and inches of sediment.

Peach is a bear to clear also, I finally gave up and nailed it with SuperKleer and it cleared in 2 days crystal.

I agree !! SuperKleer is my go to choice. I do have to say though that some wines can be very stubborn. I have a welch's white grape/apricot aging that I have hit with SuperKleer and although it is starting to clear it's taking it's own sweet time to do so. It has been a week and you still can't see completely through it. I'm gonna give it some time and then if it still hasn't cleared I'll be asking questions.

Xanxer82, SuperKleer will take care of the apple for you. I have used it on both batches I have made and it will clear perfectly.

BOB

Five:

Many years ago (while married) my wife and I went to a favorite restaraunt for dinner.
While waiting for our table, we had our customary glass of house Merlot.
To make a long story short, shortly after her second sip, she started experiencing alergic reactions to the Sulfoids in the wine that eventually resulted to her esophogas, closing nearly completly before reaching the paramedics, in route to us.
After a night for herin the hospital, I swore off any additives in my "wine making" that might be questionably notorious or for all intents and purposes, unnecessary.
Hence my distaste for clearing agents.
They are in my vast experience, totally unnecessary for anyone who has the patience to fine their wine by aging it.
IOW... You don't need them at all if you're notin a hurry to bottle.

That having been said.

My Appricot (you can find the notes if you do a search by "Apricot Wine" and my Username) came out crystal clear with no added clearing agents.
It took some four months and infrequent rackingsin the carboy, but it cleared crystal clear,just fine on its own prior to botteling it.
Apricots, peaches, pears and apples are very fiberous fruits and as I've read and experiences, require a great deal of patience in fining.

Let your wine age on its own. That's one of the things that makes your wine distinctive over others and definatly affects the flavor.

Handyman:

</span>I certainly understand and appreciate your desire to protect the health of your former wife and your desire to clear your wines with time. However, based on my experience, I disagree that fining agents affect the flavor of a finished wine. If they do, my palate is definitely not sophisticated enough to discern the differences. Many of my wines clear naturally but when they are difficult I do not hesitate to use a fining agent.

Latest posts

Back