pineapple wine 20 % alcholol

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcaret

Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNK6NQMhmIM[/ame]
Thats the recipe I follwed I trippled the ingredients ( all) then left it for three months sealed in a 5 gallon container. I strained it through a pantyhose from dollarama toniught and it registered 20% alchol . Wow . unbeleivable , but i'm sure feeling it.
This is the most simple recipe of any I tried . most say use canden tablets ,and on and on. not this one its just pineapple water yeast and sugar ,and it tastes like pinacoladas. ( i mix it with gingerale) 30 days is all the recvipe calls for . I forgot mine for three months and its great.
I want to try the same recipe but substitute pineapples for strawberries.

I also have made pineapple - especially when you catch them on sale !!
Where did you get the recipe from ??

Mmmm - SEND ME SOME! :D

On the Campden and etc., it all works out without the sanitizers – until it doesn't.

Hmm, 10 cups water, one pineapple and one kilo of sugar boiled and then add two tsp yeast.....I bet that is sweet when they serve it at 21 days. That is one huge sealed container for that little bitty batch.

I read the YouTube comments and they mentioned using wine yeast or bread yeast. From the amount they added in video I would bet it was bread yeast.

I trippled or doubled the recipe so my 3.5 dairqueen container was nearly full. I used plain old bread yeast and didnt measure it just dumped it in. This is the third batch I made so far,yummy. I got pretty drunk on it and no hangover this morning. For the person asking where I got the recipe click on my original post where it says utube ( in blue letters ) and you will see a video. To the person wondering how I test for alchohol content I have a vinometre tester ,its a glass tube , you have to understand how it works on your own cause the directions are hard to understand. Anyway it works dead on,I check store bought wine which has alcohol % written on it and even checked whiskey , this is exact. its hard to see the little black line that creeps down ward to the number that indicates the alchol content.
To the person ( cheapskate ) that bought the pineapples on sale so did I ha,hah. I see the superstore near me has strawberrys on sale at times cause they are over ripe,I think I'll buy them as I find them ,then freeze then untill I have a few lbs,(hmm this sounds expensive ,I'll have to check the price) . I think Ill do it all the same as with the pineapple recipe only with strawberrys . Oh ,maybe half and half... Things are getting better as I type. lol

The vinometer only works if the wine is completely dry. If there is any sugar present it does not give a correct reading. Bread yeast will peter out long before 20%.

I won't argue with an accurate and a reliable reading but, sorry, 20 percent ABV simply does not ring true. The recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar which is about about 7 oz and the volume is 3 quarts so we are talking about , what? - 10 oz of sugar per gallon. Add one pineapple which will will contain about 500 cals. Let's assume that all the calories are from fermentable sugar, so we are talking about another 3 or 4 oz of sugar (50 cals to 1 T and 15 T to a cup, suggests a pineapple contains the equivalent to about 2/3 C of sugar). But let's round that up the amount of sugar that the pineapple provides to 6 oz and so assume the total amount of sugar per gallon is about 1 lb. One lb of sugar produces a specific gravity of about 1.045 or about 5 % ABV. Double the quantity and the ABV will approach 10% but probably more like 4 % or 8 % if the amount of sugar and fruit are doubled. Jim's point about the maximum tolerance of bread yeast for alcohol maxing out at about 10% is not challenged .

I won't argue with an accurate and a reliable reading but, sorry, 20 percent ABV simply does not ring true. The recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar which is about about 7 oz and the volume is 3 quarts so we are talking about , what? - 10 oz of sugar per gallon. Add one pineapple which will will contain about 500 cals. Let's assume that all the calories are from fermentable sugar, so we are talking about another 3 or 4 oz of sugar (50 cals to 1 T and 15 T to a cup, suggests a pineapple contains the equivalent to about 2/3 C of sugar). But let's round that up the amount of sugar that the pineapple provides to 6 oz and so assume the total amount of sugar per gallon is about 1 lb. One lb of sugar produces a specific gravity of about 1.045 or about 5 % ABV. Double the quantity and the ABV will approach 10% but probably more like 4 % or 8 % if the amount of sugar and fruit are doubled. Jim's point about the maximum tolerance of bread yeast for alcohol maxing out at about 10% is not challenged .

Go listen to video...sugar one KG. One cup sugar raises gravity of one gallon by 0.020, 2.36 cups sugar/lb equals 5.192 cups but lets say five cups, which takes SG to 1.100 in one gallon. They used just eight cups water, so wouldn't that take SG to 1.200...26.4% IF it fermented dry? Not even counting sugar from pineapple? (i also doubt the ACV--call me Miss Negativity if you must).

Vinometers are finicky. How about taking true hydro readings to determine what was actually made? I also agree with assessments on bread yeast limitations.

My question to OP is...is this wine dry or does it have a natural residual sugar?
You say you tripled the recipe...so exactly how much sugar did you add to what amount of water?

Last edited:
Sorry to start all this controversey ( i think that means argueing kinda ) .Anyway if you look at my post I dont know for sure what amount of bread yeast .it was bread yeast for sure. I just dumped it in from the jar,the recipe I trippled or so ,to get a dairyqueen tall white rectangular container that syrup or something comes in ,they give them away . My D.Q. container ( i just went and looked ) says 15 liters or 4 US gallons . Our Canadian gallons are 4.5 liters or aproximatley 4.5 US quartrs. Our quarts are bigger than your us ones( size matters i guess lol) we dont have any quarts here cause some politican changed us to the european system Im in Canada incase you didnt pick it up yet aye?
I read those ladies recipe and figured id just fill the DQ container I had it about 4 inches from the top when finished. I also forgot about it for about 3 months . I tried to dump the aproximate correct amount of sugar into the must ,and probably am somewhere near the video recipe except I used 4 pineapples and they were on sale .I choped them up .they didnt turn to mush when it was time to strain the stuff through a nylon stocking. I thought they would have. I just dumped the leftover stuff in my back yard ,the birds are probably still drunk.lol.
In answer to your question I probably used 3 to 4 times what the recipe says cause I was mostly concerned with having the container full. Anyways if you want good pineapple wine do just what the videos say to do ,I tried trippling it to fill the container ,but cant remember that far back , if there was room for more must after trippling it I would have dumped more of everything into the container ..
I couldnt care less what the alchol content is as long as its getting me feeling like it does its good enough for me.. But to ad to the doubters I have been given store bought wine that my vinometer was correct on measuring alchol. I had a hard time to figure out how to use it at first ,I even tested my tap water ,saddly it had no booze in it.
I'm stocking up on strawberries and will report back after my next batch /experiment ,pineapple and strawberry is being drank by me. Maybe a couple of months or so from now.
Bye.

Jimmie James , Im near Calgary in a hick town where I have very few neighbours and no Police.

xcaret said:
Jimmie James , Im near Calgary in a hick town where I have very few neighbours and no Police.

Right on. Thinking of moving out there. But there's no damn grapes in AB.

NDSU is doing some breeding trials with riparia from Saskatchewan with some of the vinifera and other hybrids. I do know that some of the frontenacs are being grown in Alberta. There are some options! :)

I could endure a year there. There's lots of work in my field. Niagara region is drying up for my type of contracting.
I don't think there's a VinBon in AB.

Latest posts

Back