Pineapple ginger- no heat!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwards

Reaction score
My pineapple wine was always my favorite to take with us to the local sushi spot. It pairs great with the flavors there. One day I munched on a little of the pickled ginger and then had a sip of my wine and the flavors went together so well! I figured that pineapple wine with ginger would be even better with sushi. Anyway I made a batch, the ginger was VERY apparent in the must, I even worried that I'd over done it. But the fermented wine has virtually no spice to it at all.

I remember reading on one of the threads here that folks will often use a capsaicin product to get the heat back.

Pepper corns? Red pepper flakes? Has anyone used something that doesn't add other pepper flavor to the wine but still gets back some spice?

I figure whatever I'd use I'd try to make an extract from it first in some vodka..

Thanks for any suggestions.

I would use cayene...it has a delicate flavor with lots of heat, while other peppers have a stronger flavor...

I think they are different flavors. I would go with ginger extract. If that doesn't work, you could try adding ginger post fermentation with this, I'm working on an extract like this right now with coconut.

How much ginger did you use? My lemongrass-ginger is just right for me with about 30g fresh ginger and 30g crystallized ginger per gallon.

I don't remember how much I used, it was a fair sized chunk, and the must was SPICY! It still has a fair amount of ginger flavor, just not the heat.

Latest posts

Back