pH too low

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldog

Junior
Reaction score
Hi,
I started some Concord wine and when I added the acid I checked with the pH meter and brought it to a pH of 3.4 (without calibrating meter) only to find out later that the probe was bad. Now with new probe the pH is 2.85 and clear. Has acid taste. What do I add to change the pH back where I want it? Hopefully with out changing the wine too much.

Thank You,
JB

That is what I was thinking but did not know how much it would change the wine taste and clarity. I have not had this happen before.

Thank You,

JB

I'm sorry, I can't help you a lot with your wine.

But, I could add that you might just want to "mask" the flavor with some sugar. It is what the "big-boys" (commercial wineries) do to wines that are too sour. CJJ Berry (p. 94) says you can mask with glycerine or sugar if only slightly acidic.

Now, I don't know about Calcium Carbonate, but my friend CJJ Berry states, (pate 43)

"If you need to reduce the acidity 1/4 oz (6 g) of potassium carbonate will reduce the acidity of 1 gallon by 1 ppt. " He goes on to say that potassium carbonate leaves no sediment and does not impair flavor. He also says you can buy reducing solutions.

Potassium bicarbonate is probably preferable to calcium carbonate for the
reasons Martina notes. George has it available for ordering. If your wine
container is topped up, take care when adding as it foams tremendously.
After adding, cover the container with your (sanitized) hand until the fizzing
dies down, or it will overflow. It is recommended that you do a trial batch of
a smaller amount of wine and figure how much k-bicarb is needed for that
amount, then scale it up for the rest that needs to be treated.

Bill

I think I will order potassium carbonate to give it a try. I think I will take a gallon out and try adjusting it to taste and raise the pH. Thanks for the help and I will let you know how it goes.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Think You,
JB

From Jack Keller's site on Acid Reduction:

One can easily lower acidity in a finished wine through additions of calcium carbonate, acidex, or potassium bicarbonate, or through cold stabilization.

Calcium carbonate reacts preferentially with tartaric rather than malic acid, so one should not try to reduce acidity more thab 0.3 to 0.4% through its use. A dose of 2.5 grams per gallon of wine lowers TA about 0.1%. After its use, the wine should be bulk aged at least 6 months to allow calcium malate, a byproduct of calcium carbonate use, to precipitate from the wine. The wine should then be cold stabilized to ensure tartrate crystals do not precipitate out after bottling.

Potassium bicarbonate is used to deacidify a wine with a low pH (below 3.5), but should not be used to reduce acidity more than 0.3%. A dose of 3.4 grams per gallon of wine lowers acidity by about 0.1%. After use, the wine should be cold stabilized, as up to 30% of the potential acid reduction occurs during cold stabilization. It will cause a greater rise in pH than calcium carbonate for an equivalent reduction in acidity.

Finally, potassium bitartrate (a.k.a. Cream of Tartar) is used as a catalyst to help promote cold stabilization. It promotes the formation of tartrate crystals and is used at the rate of 2 to 5 grams per gallon, followed by vigorous stirring. Its use results in better and quicker stabilization, and these benefits will occur at slightly higher temperatures than without it.

JB,

I'm not real familar with Concord, but most grapes have a high level of tartaric acid. You did not mention what type of acid you added (a blend, tartaric, citric, etc.). What I would try before added something to buffer the acid is cold stabilization. There is a very simple test to see if this would help. Take a small amount of your wine, ~ 8 ozs. Take a pH reading. Put this in the fridge for a couple of days. Tartaric crystals should form on the bottom of the container. Take the wine and pour it off the crystals. Let it come back to room temp and re-check the pH. If it raised it enough or even a little, you can do you entire carboy this way.

Hal

Latest posts

Back