pH & TA both high

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffMcG

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have just crushed my Pinot Noir grapes and the must pH is 3.9 and TA is 0.97
These are both higher than I would like. I could add tartaric acid to reduce the pH but I believe that would push the TA even higher.
I would welcome any recommendations on how I should proceed.

If your volume is small enough you can chill to refrigerator temp, as low as -2C to precitate potassium tartrate, ,,, takes a week or so.
You wouldn’t be the first to run high pH wine, it means you can’t have five year shelf life and need higher meta.
At the lab bench I would “cheat” and add 85% phosphoric acid to push it down like sodas do. Commercial wine will not permit this but this is mainly a home wine forum. You would have to deal with high TA later as running a secondary fermentation or chill proofing over winter.

Australian crop? High sugar? I am a northern US grower so I will never get to pick high pH grapes, hot climate folks may have better solutions.
Good luck, wine is forgiving unless you are trying to age it a decade.

Last edited:
If your volume is small enough you can chill to refrigerator temp, as low as -2C to precitate potassium tartrate, ,,, takes a week or so.
You wouldn’t be the first to run high pH wine, it means you can’t have five year shelf life and need higher meta.
At the lab bench I would “cheat” and add 85% phosphoric acid to push it down like sodas do. Commercial wine will not permit this but this is mainly a home wine forum. You would have to deal with high TA later as running a secondary fermentation or chill proofing over winter.

Australian crop? High sugar? I am a northern US grower so I will never get to pick high pH grapes, hot climate folks may have better solutions.
Good luck, wine is forgiving unless you are trying to age it a decade.
Thanks, I have about 170 litres so I could try to chill it in smaller batches.
This is my own crop with Brix about 25. It's been a very mild summer so I was surprised to get such high sugar, last year it was about 22

Latest posts

Back