PH Meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
All I have done so far has been kits, but I have 2 fresh juice buckets coming from Chile(Sauvignon Blanc). So I am looking for an inexpensive meter for my first one and one that will be easy to use. Not much good on chemistry. Any recommendations?

Quite a few of us have been using the Hanna pHep 5. It has 2 decimal points, temp correction. This one comes with small packets of buffer solution and storage solution as well. They are easy to use and come with detailed instructions on how to calibrate.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a very timely question as I'm also thinking about investing in a pH meter. After searching the forums, I have found a few favorite meters, but it is hard for a new user like me to compare the different models.

FYI...I make mostly country-type fruit wines with an occasional kit. I would like all my wines to be better balanced and take the guesswork out of putting together my musts. My budget for a meter is between $100-200, including the required solutions.

If anyone has any experience with the following models, I would be very interested in hearing pros and cons:

1. Vinmetrica Model SC-200 ($165+shipping)
  2. Miwaukee Model MW102 ($98+6.50 shipping)
  3. Hanna Model pHep5 ($99+0 shipping)
I am also a bit confused at the other items that need to be purchased besides the meter. It appears that the Vinmetrica model above includes all the required solutions. Is this a good deal or not? I know you need a number of solutions, but which ones? How long do these solutions last? Where do you buy/restock your liquid expendables?

Also, can all pH meters calculate TA like the Vinmetrica Model SC-200?

Thanks for all your help...Mike

After doing my research I pulled the trigger on the Vinmetrica 300. My wife will have to help me figure it out.

Yes, the Vinmetrica model SC-300 looks like an awesome meter with a lot of capability. However, I'm not sure it's cost effective to spend that much ($335+shipping) on a testing meter when I only make, at most, 20 gallons of wine a year.

But, I'm open minded and willing to be convinced if you can make a case for a hobbyist wine maker like me to spend that much on testing equipment. Will it make my wine that much better to justify the cost? Or, is there a better solution for the part-time wine maker? There must be a happy medium out there somewhere?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences...Mike

There are many pH meters available for quite a bit less than $300, including "pen" sized ones for around $50. Google pH meter and see.

If you only make 20 gallons a year I'd say something like the one I use would be a good one to get. Milwaukee Instruments pH55 for $53.50 at Amazon with free shipping. You will need to get some 4.01 and 7.01 solution to calibrate. Very easy to use and adjusts for temp. The only draw back is it only reads in tenths and not hundredths. It's a good beginner pH meter for the price.

If anyone has any experience with the following models, I would be very interested in hearing pros and cons:

1. Vinmetrica Model SC-200 ($165+shipping)

2. Miwaukee Model MW102 ($98+6.50 shipping)

3. Hanna Model pHep5 ($99+0 shipping)

I am also a bit confused at the other items that need to be purchased besides the meter. It appears that the Vinmetrica model above includes all the required solutions. Is this a good deal or not? I know you need a number of solutions, but which ones? How long do these solutions last? Where do you buy/restock your liquid expendables?

Also, can all pH meters calculate TA like the Vinmetrica Model SC-200?

Thanks for all your help...Mike

This is my opinion only and that of a few others. My first ph meter was the Hanna Phep 5. I found it slow to get to the final reading and very hard to read due to the very small display. Calibrating was ok after understanding the process but still rather slow. I winemaker I know had two of them and got different reading off of each. He gave up and got the Vinmetrica.

I got frustrated enough and after doing much research settled for the Milwaukee mw102. I am very pleased with it. It reacts quickly, large display and easy to calibrate. I can use it as a bench top meter or portable and just go from carboy to carboy taking readings. Yest this will fit into the carboy openings unlike the phep 5. There is a good many members with the Phep 5 and love it and some that switched.

Now the bigger decision. What do you want to do and how far do you want to get into this hobby. I also own the first vinmetrica. Hands down, I could not live without it for S02 readings. In the last several weeks I ran over 100 tests with it along side a $2400 unit and got the exact same readings. They both only took a minute or so for the tests. The only thing more accurate would be doing an AO test which takes about 15 minutes for each test.

If you don't have any test equipment you'll save money and be more sophisticated then 70% of winemakers by buying the Vinmetrica that does ph, So2 and TA. Heck there are even some wineries that don't even test for S02 and thats just plain crazy. My last opinion, stay away from litmous paper and all accuvin tests. :a1

Yes, the Vinmetrica model SC-300 looks like an awesome meter with a lot of capability. However, I'm not sure it's cost effective to spend that much ($335+shipping) on a testing meter when I only make, at most, 20 gallons of wine a year.

But, I'm open minded and willing to be convinced if you can make a case for a hobbyist wine maker like me to spend that much on testing equipment. Will it make my wine that much better to justify the cost? Or, is there a better solution for the part-time wine maker? There must be a happy medium out there somewhere?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences...Mike
I just caught this additional post of yours. Making 20 gallons a year you do not need to spend the extra money. As far as S02 I would add 1/4 tsp after fermentation and 1/8 tsp every 3 months ensuring the timing is right that you add another 1/8 just before bottling. The 1/8 tsp would be for reds, if your making a white wine I would add 1/4 tsp every 3 months.

Keep in mind, this is an obsession. 20 gallons a year quickly turns into 60 gallons a year. LOL

Thanks Runningwolf...that's just the type of info I was after.

My problem is that even though I make a small amount of wine, I like to do most things at 110 percent. So, it is really tempting for me to play like the big boys. But, I agree...I'd be a bit foolish to think I need to spend the extra money to monitor my SO2.

I've read a lot of good comments about the Milwaukee MW102 and the Hanna pHep5, but I've haven't heard much about the Vinmetrica SC-200. Does anyone have any comments on the Vinmetrica? Does the TA metering work well? I think the Vinmetrica 200 includes all the needed chemical extras and that sounds attractive, but are they worth the extra $80?

Thanks again folks...I've learned a lot and my wine is sure to benefit.

Blessings...Mike

I did not have much luck with my Hanna, the electrode went on it (I think) after 6 months, so instead of buying a new electrode, today I just ordered the Milwaukee from Amazon. Hopefully I have better luck with that one!

Latest posts

Back