Pears in a bucket to stink!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunebilly

Junior
Reaction score
I peeled and took out the core of a 7 gallon bucket of pears.
They were all chopped up. I rinsed them off. Rinsed out the bucket. Placed all the pares back in the bucket and filled with water to top of pears.
It sat for a day, now it stinks, kinda like a vinegar or ferment stink. I Threw in 3 campden tablets.
There it sits. Stinks.
Im thinking of removing pares and boiling them down or juicing them and making another batch of wine with the fruit.
Or what is happening here...? Help.

Only a guess, but that quickly it is probably fermenting with native, wild yeast. Kmeta won't stop fermentation, just slows it down and only temporarily.

Did you use cold water, very cold water?

cold water. out the faucet. not refridgerated,, yeah,, smells,,,,, different. about to boil some.

Did you add the sulfite when you put the pears in or only after it started to smell?

after. it had a faint stink and i then added the crushed tabs. Still alright to boil them?

Wish I knew how to answer you. The pears could be rotting or they could be fermenting. If they are fermenting, they probably would be safer to save than if they were rotting. However, some wild yeast can create a nasty, smelly result.

I can only say what I would do if it were me. I would take it as a good lesson for the future and toss them. I wouldn't take a chance.

I hate to say this - but i think i am going to agree with robie.

Waiting that long to add in k-meta - could have caused a bacterial infection within the fruit/juice.

Next time - freeze your peaches first - once they thaw out add the k-meta in first thing, wait 12 hours add in the pectic, wait 12 hours and then add your yeast in.

Back