Pear wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With pear it's most of the time an age thing. I've had a pear take 1.5 years to age the acid down to where you could taste the pear.

Musty?

Like fermenting must, or dirty sock/armpit must?

We need a little more to go on; the usual. Process, dates, times, temps, nutrient schedule, racking schedule, etc.

Any other descriptors?

Like fermenting must.
I pressed out 7.5 gallons from 70# pears 9-24-14, balling = 8, acid = 0.2. Raised balling to 24 and added acid blend. Used EC1118 yeast. there is now about 6 gallons, alcohol = 12% and acid = 1%

Let me say that pear CAN smell somewhat musty if you've never made it before. I think I know what you're talking about there and it's totally normal. If the fruit was good, with no mold on it especially if you froze them first and allowed them to thaw, then there is no reason for it to TRULY be a mold condition.

I made about 5 gallons a couple years ago. It turned out great. I didn't freeze the fruit either time

Any chance the stopper or outside of the carboy neck is stinky, and not the wine? Those rubber stoppers can hold oders sometimes. It make the top glass of wine "taste" funny. Holding ones breath when drinking eliminates the bad "taste", smell really.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back