Help: prickly pear cider losing its color

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty520

Reaction score
So one of our regular house ciders is prickly pear cider. It has this beautiful neon pink hue... Which just fades completely away after bottling.

It is such a shame because the hue is gorgeous and would be a huge selling point

It maintains the hue all the way through filtration and bottling so my best guess is that it has something to with sulfites and
/or oxidation

A winery near me (now closed) used to bottle Sangria and warned that it needed to be consumed within X number of weeks. (I can't remember if it was two or four weeks).

If I was the winemaker, I would experiment with bottling a few bottles without sulfites and see how long the hue lasts. If it is K-meta, then I would try bottling and warning the consumers that it needed to be consumed within X months. This experiment might take an entire fermentation/bottling cycle.

If the hue goes away with oxidation, that should be an easy experiment; leave an un-kmeta glass out until the hue vanishes or not.

Since it is a cider, I wonder why you aren't treating it as a low ABV beer and bottling without kmeta with crown caps in beer bottles? Am I missing something?

A winery near me (now closed) used to bottle Sangria and warned that it needed to be consumed within X number of weeks. (I can't remember if it was two or four weeks).

If I was the winemaker, I would experiment with bottling a few bottles without sulfites and see how long the hue lasts. If it is K-meta, then I would try bottling and warning the consumers that it needed to be consumed within X months. This experiment might take an entire fermentation/bottling cycle.

If the hue goes away with oxidation, that should be an easy experiment; leave an un-kmeta glass out until the hue vanishes or not.

Since it is a cider, I wonder why you aren't treating it as a low ABV beer and bottling without kmeta with crown caps in beer bottles? Am I missing something?
We add the prickly pear and backsweeten in secondary - we can't afford chancing refermentation

I have no direct experience or suggestions, but your post reminded me of a long-ago thread on prickly pear wine. I vaguely remembered something about color. Here is a snippet from that thread discussing color loss: (Beginning of thread here: Prickly Pear Wine )

I just bottled my first batch of this.

It's a pale, white wine these days -- a far cry from what I saw after first racking (see attached images)...

I could never get the slight haze to clear -- I tried hitting it with pectic enzyme twice and also tried amylase enzyme twice (in case it was a starch haze).

My wife and I agree that it's a lovely, herbaceous wine with hints of clover and summer heat.
:h

View attachment 12488

View attachment 12491

View attachment 12492

I have no direct experience or suggestions, but your post reminded me of a long-ago thread on prickly pear wine. I vaguely remembered something about color. Here is a snippet from that thread discussing color loss: (Beginning of thread here: Prickly Pear Wine )

Yep! Exactly our issue.

We also experience the haze issue they mention - a brute to filter. It's almost like some sort of gelatin. Kills our filters on the first run, but not an issue after

We add the prickly pear and backsweeten in secondary - we can't afford chancing refermentation

Sorbate rather than kmeta? I think the first step is isolating the reason for the color loss if possible.

Latest posts

Back