Pear Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
runningwolf, if you used the whole pears, chopped and frozen would 15 lbs per gallon be enough to get the pear flavor and color.

Jim,
Last year when I made mine I think I wound up using about 14 lb. per gal. and although I had a press it gave me pure juice to ferment with. The pear flavor is not real strong so you probably don't want to dilute the juice too much. Just my 2 cents worth. Arne.

thanks arne, i have to bottle two carboys today...think i may try some pear...sounds really good.

of course you can...just add as little water as you can. but with light colored fruits, you need more fruit to get to the taste..
so ...as and example...10 lbs may make a 1 gallon batch but you need 30 for a three..etc.

Perfect!!! I am aiming for a 5 gallon batch tomorrow! Now can I add the same chemicals pectic enzyme and yeast, bentonite...

yes, according to the mfg specs, and after you add the pectin, let it sit a day so the fruit breaks down, you will get a closer reading of the sg. that way.

ADD NO WATER AT ALL!! I have about 13 gallons from 270 pounds of fruit. If my pears were riper I probably would have got more juice. Also I did not freeze most of the pairs. Prefrozen, ripe pears and I think my yield would have been a bit better. ADD NO WATER!!!!

Did I mention.......ADD NO WATER!!!!

I just weighed in my pair load... 73 pounds:) I am going to juice them tomorrow!

Latest pictures Dan? I want to do a pear so bad. I will probably have to do juice though I cant see me getting this many pears at one time with out a pear orchard lol

I agree with you tess, i would like to do a pear batch also.
I can either get juice, are buy pears by the pound at store, which would cost a great deal, here there like a 1.50 a lb.

I agree with you tess, i would like to do a pear batch also.
I can either get juice, are buy pears by the pound at store, which would cost a great deal, here there like a 1.50 a lb.

Let me know where you get your pear juice. Im about ready to buy canned pears from Walmart and I have no shame in that!! :)

Remind me Tess about pictures and I will this weekend. Just got home about 8 hours ago and back off to work again. You can get pear juice at Walkers.

I woke up this morning thinking about this pear must! Do I need to add sugar to this? If so how much sugar for 5 gallons?

Latest posts

Back