Pear Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClydeWigg3

Reaction score
Before I freeze my pears, should I core and seed them? Should I leave the skin on? Will it hurt if they turn brown?

You want to destone and depit them. Sprinkle a little absorbic acid on the pears slicing and stick them in the freezer ASAP. You will be fine. I do that with my peaches and apples - they have never browned on me.

what I do is add some lemon juice to some water,
as you cut and depit, slice and put in the lemon water
when finished take out of water , put in bag, and freeze

I think it also depends on your pears. I use these "native" pears down here in Oklahoma. The skins are bitter, and the meat is granular (these are cooking pears). I have to skin the pear before it goes into my wine. But it does make some incredibly awesome wine. I have made pear wine from bosc pears, left the skins on, and it turned out great. Either way, take the core/seeds out, and I think the skins is up to you. I also would not worry about the meat browning, as the wine gets pretty light in color by the end anyways, and I have not noticed a drop in flavor as a result. I used to add citrus, but I make pear wine in such large quantities now that I gave up on it, and am glad I did.

Latest posts

Back