Peach Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North_Ga_Jug-Or-Not

No Glass Needed
Reaction score
Well, I went with the Welch's White Grape Peach juice saturday. Made up a six gallon batch, added the pectic enzyme, kmeta, nutrient, energizer, and added enough sugar to get me up to 1.112-1.113(or est. 15% ABV finished). My yeast (lavlin EC-1118) took off as expected and was bubbling nicely with a decent foam on top this morning when I checked it. Pitched the yeast on
12-17. Gave it a gentle stir twice daily so far, now im just waiting.

I havent taken another SG reading yet, I will this evening but im sure it isnt ready yet given my starting SG and its current rate of ferment. Ill be sure and keep you posted, and ill also be starting my next batch as soon as my primary is freed up. Should be next weekend, gonna get my blueberry/pomegranet off the ground im really excited to see how that one turns out as I havent ever tasted it. Peach, on the other hand happens to be one of my favorites. Especially if your talking brandy, but thats getting into a whole other wine discussion. Lol

Hope everyone elses week is starting off as well as mine, and I hope somebody is just pulling one out to drink instead of seeing it start and feeling that anticipation that keeps us all going.

Pasted that from my intro thread, meant to make a new thread. lol

But, I checked the SG on tuesday and it was 1.070+/- a hair so itll probably be tmrw or saturday before its ready for the secondary. Its keeping a nice half inch head on it, and ferment has been very good and steady since sunday. Might I add it is smelling nice though. Im gonna take another reading since its getting close just to see where I stand, but with it going as good as it is im sure itll be a few days yet. My gf took a sniff and said we may have to go ahead and get another 6 gallons of this going now, because its smelling like this may go a bit too fast for her liking once its done. Shes gonna have to wait, im not putting off my blueberry/pomegranet any longer its going down this weekend as soon as I rack out my primary.

I am guessing that this weekend is still going to be a little early for the secondary. If you do rack it over, be careful of the ol wine volcano. Keep the wine down a little ways from the neck of the carboy and store the extra in another bottle with airlock. At a high s.g. if you transfer it, you will get a bunch of extra oxygen to it and it will make it ferment faster for a little while. Just my opinion, but I have been there, doesn't hurt the wine, but you can have a nice mess to clean up. Arne.

Yeah, I usually always leave space when I first rack to secondary as a precaution as I have several gallon and half gallon jugs. Its easier to add that back when I rack again than it is to clean up a mess thats for sure. Im hoping to have it in secondary by the weekend, as it should be getting down around 1.010 or less by then. Thanks for the lookout though, always good to have another opinion in case I forget my head somewhere. Ill post my current SG when I get home from work, the 1.070 reading is from tuesday and that put it half way finished from start.

This brings back fond memories. My first batch was a gallon of peach made from the fruit. No hydrometer, no acid testing, no sulfite, a quarter inch of sediment in the bottom of the bottles - and it still came out great. :D

I too have made a couple batches using fresh peaches it is always a real nice wine.

I too have made a couple batches using fresh peaches it is always a real nice wine.

Sounds like a great idea. Maybe this summer I can get my hands on some fresh peaches. Have to buy twice what I need cause Kathy will want em for eatin. lol, Arne.

Always remember, when using fresh fruit or berries, you want them ripe of course. but you also want to freeze them first (cut into chunks, of course).

This helps break down the cell structure and makes them more easily fermentable. I am not sure, but it seems to me it makes them sweeter. Is this true?

I have, and will always be envious of those of you in here who have access to fresh fruit.

The cheapest apples we have at the store I work at is 1.28 a pound. Basically 50 cents for one apple. Do the math.

The last peach wie I mixed up, I was able to get them for the same, 1.28/pound, and they were beauties.

Ok, well the ferment slowed a bit as the weather changed and got cooler but it hit 1.011-1.012 yesterday evening. I knew I had a busy day today after work so I racked to secondary last night. Had enough must to fill my 6 gallon carboy(slightly below the fill mark), and a half-gallon jug for top up at next racking. I have them both sitting at a temp that moves between 68-73degrees F throughout the day/night. So thats where we are today, looked good this morning, airlocks look good and bungs secure. Now we just wait about 3-4 weeks, Ill be coming with updates.

I have, and will always be envious of those of you in here who have access to fresh fruit.

The cheapest apples we have at the store I work at is 1.28 a pound. Basically 50 cents for one apple. Do the math.

The last peach wie I mixed up, I was able to get them for the same, 1.28/pound, and they were beauties.

I almost hate to post this, Troy, but here goes anyway. I was given 10 gal of fresh squeezed apple juice this weekend. 5 gal are in the primary, and will do the other 5 here shortly. Price was perfect, not a thing. Will give back some finished wine, tho. This is a couple of years in a row with the free juice. Arne.

Id say free juice will always make good wine. lol It would be nice to get 10 gallons of free juice, be a good experiment driven wine cause u got nothin to lose but time and we do that everyday anyway.

Latest posts

Back