Peach wine - too much sediment - help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, backsweeten means to sweeten the wine after fermentation & stabilization (k-meta + sorbate) are done

Thank you so much this really helps.

Q. The term "backsweeten" means adding sugar when the wine has finished fermenting...is that right?:ib

Yes, but don't move too quickly to do so. The best method, IMO, is to ferment, wait till the SG gets low (under 1.020 min), rack until clear (3-5 times), (if bulk aging in carboys, add sulphites every 3 months), after 3-6 months of the racking (about every 4-6 six weeks) AND it's clear, add sulphites/ sorbate/ inverted sugar (or juice, juice concentrate, juice with sugar), wait 2 weeks, THEN bottle.

The waiting period is to ensure it doesn't ferment in the bottle after getting backsweetened. No one wants wine bombs. lol. Now everyone does that whole process a different, but that is my VERY general method. You could add clearing agent or filtering into there if you want it faster or it's not clearing.

Just an FYI, I've had bottle bombs. Wine is very messy and I'm glad it was stored in a place on concrete that I didn't care get stained!

Yes, but don't move too quickly to do so. The best method, IMO, is to ferment, wait till the SG gets low (under 1.020 min), rack until clear (3-5 times), (if bulk aging in carboys, add sulphites every 3 months), after 3-6 months of the racking (about every 4-6 six weeks) AND it's clear, add sulphites/ sorbate/ inverted sugar (or juice, juice concentrate, juice with sugar), wait 2 weeks, THEN bottle.

The waiting period is to ensure it doesn't ferment in the bottle after getting backsweetened. No one wants wine bombs. lol. Now everyone does that whole process a different, but that is my VERY general method. You could add clearing agent or filtering into there if you want it faster or it's not clearing.

Just an FYI, I've had bottle bombs. Wine is very messy and I'm glad it was stored in a place on concrete that I didn't care get stained!

This is really helpful. So when see the bubbles stop....rack and then keep racking (leaving under bubbleometer) until it is clear every 4-6 weeks for months or until clear. Mine is hazy but has some sediment already so I think is still fermenting. It was only started 19th May.

This is really helpful. So when see the bubbles stop....rack and then keep racking (leaving under bubbleometer) until it is clear every 4-6 weeks for months or until clear. Mine is hazy but has some sediment already so I think is still fermenting. It was only started 19th May.

I try and wait about 3-5 days after the bubbles stop. It won't hurt to go a week. After you get it off the yeast (technically the third racking- primary, secondary, then a rack), time is not AS important. Just look for sediment. When sediment is accumulated over 4-6 weeks, then rack, but if it's not a whole lot in that time, you can wait a bit longer. I have waited 6-8 months with 4-5 rackings in that time. :slp Waiting isn't fun, but you can use clearing agents or filter. Peach is one that is VERY tough to clear. You can look into bentonite (search and find directions on usage) or filtering. I usually like waiting over using anything, but there are some wines that are just a pain. Remember to add sulphites (no sorbate) every 3 months IF you plan on waiting for over 6 months (the first not too long after the bubbles stop). Even when it stops fermenting, you will get sediment over time AND the haze may stay. Keeping the wine in a real cool place helps (think 35 F-45 F) for a month or two makes the heavy particles drop faster.

The trick is to try and rack less than 5 times because of oxidation and getting it clear without affecting taste. Rough filtering (3 micron or higher) shouldn't change flavor and some may not be affected with a 1.5 micron (depending on the wine and your own senses). It is the fine filtering (1 micron and smaller) that can affect flavor, but usually not too much. I have yet to have some that we have fine filter, age over a year though. The Isinglass (sp?) and Superclear can give a slight off flavor, but they work fast, when they are needed (there are 2 kinds of clearing agents, when one works the other shouldn't and vice versa). Knowing what is causing the cloudiness can be trial and error. Checking here should yield good info. Peach typically can be cleared with bentonite.

Last edited:
I try and wait about 3-5 days after the bubbles stop. It won't hurt to go a week. After you get it off the yeast (technically the third racking- primary, secondary, then a rack), time is not AS important. Just look for sediment. When sediment is accumulated over 4-6 weeks, then rack, but if it's not a whole lot in that time, you can wait a bit longer. I have waited 6-8 months with 4-5 rackings in that time. :slp Waiting isn't fun, but you can use clearing agents or filter. Peach is one that is VERY tough to clear. You can look into bentonite (search and find directions on usage) or filtering. I usually like waiting over using anything, but there are some wines that are just a pain. Remember to add sulphites (no sorbate) every 3 months IF you plan on waiting for over 6 months (the first not too long after the bubbles stop). Even when it stops fermenting, you will get sediment over time AND the haze may stay. Keeping the wine in a real cool place helps (think 35 F-45 F) for a month or two makes the heavy particles drop faster.

The trick is to try and rack less than 5 times because of oxidation and getting it clear without affecting taste. Rough filtering (3 micron or higher) shouldn't change flavor and some may not be affected with a 1.5 micron (depending on the wine and your own senses). It is the fine filtering (1 micron and smaller) that can affect flavor, but usually not too much. I have yet to have some that we have fine filter, age over a year though. The Isinglass (sp?) and Superclear can give a slight off flavor, but they work fast, when they are needed (there are 2 kinds of clearing agents, when one works the other shouldn't and vice versa). Knowing what is causing the cloudiness can be trial and error. Checking here should yield good info. Peach typically can be cleared with bentonite.

Thank you this again is really helpful. May I ask "Remember to add sulphites (no sorbate) every 3 months IF you plan on waiting for over 6 months" What are sulphites?

Thank you this again is really helpful. May I ask "Remember to add sulphites (no sorbate) every 3 months IF you plan on waiting for over 6 months" What are sulphites?

Another term for the k-meta. The full term is Potassium MetabiSULPHITE, so I usually say, "sulphites," but type k-meta. lol. There is actually sodium metabisulphite that works the same though.

Disaster!!!! Help!! I have tried the wine...it has a very slight taste of peace and is alcholic but is very watery.....

Where did I go wrong?

How can I rescue???

Keep in mind, its very young.

The alcohol taste is upfront in young wines & will settle down over time... As it settles down, the flavors will start to come out and it wont seem as watery.

Patience is the key now, you gotta let it age.

Unfortunately, in the first few months of your wine. You can never taste whether it is on the right track or not.

Just make sure it does not taste sour like vinegar and you should be fine.

Back