Peach price

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit of extra work and time to set 50# on ~160F for ~12h to partially dehydrate. This is not extreme dehydration but maybe 30%? I don't have a juicer so was planning to put all the peaches into a mesh bag and squeeze to get the juice out. Plenty of juice left in these partially desiccated peaches. Will probably be adding some water or other "juice" and chapitalizing to get SG to wherever it should be... 1.080 or 1.090'ish...

When I taste test compare them to the fresh peach they taste different - sweeter - more peachy - the meat is a deeper orange - skins are tougher. I like them better prepared like this and found some ice cream in the freezer that was taking up too much space so had to "get rid of it along with some of these peaches"...

I think the skins will be fine especially once they macerate in the juice for a while in the primary.

Once they're de-stoned / quartered / processed / dehydrated there is less total mass - I'm going to need another 25# basket :)

Cheers!
-jb

It's tough to tell in a comparison of dehydrated vs fresh peaches as to the aroma and flavor because neither has been through the fermentation process - that's where we can lose a lot of the aroma and taste if the fermentation is done at the upper end of the acceptable fermentation process. Several experts have written about using yeasts that work at lower temps and fermenting at lower temps to protect those volatile oils that give us the aroma and the flavors in the lighter colored fruits/grapes. So while there may be enough aroma and flavor in a mildly dehydrated peach to compare favorably with a fresh peach, once both go through fermentation that's where you can lose that light but wonderful aroma and taste.

By the way the batch of Peach wine I started has already dropped to 1.005 SG yesterday I added some additional sugar to increase the ABV since I had a hard time getting a solid reading as fermentation started. In the morning the Must was at 1.020 an after I added the additional sugar it was up to 1.042 - I checked it several times throughout the day and it was bubbling steadily - had to push the fruit sack down each time and try to push it to leave open space for the CO2 to escape. Then this morning WOW ! 1.005 on the Hydrometer. Going to gather and rinse my carboys one more time and do the transfer. Should have 4 + gallons going into 4 x 4liter glass carboys and with 7 pounds of peaches per gallon it won't be a problem if I have to add a little water to top them off.
By the way the 20 dark red sweet cherries added to deepen the color have given their all. Picked some pieces out of the must and they had no additional color to give. They have slightly darkened the must overall and if this works I should end up with a peach wine that has a peachy color vs the usual light or white wine color. Will know more as it clears over the coming months. The flavor of 20 cherries (1/2 lb maybe vs 28 lbs of Peaches) should not even be detectable.

Last edited:
Yeah, I doubt you'll taste any cherry. Hope that color change holds as I know about my peach wines not looking "peachy".

An aside... Seems most everyone who tried some liked my last peach wine except my soon to be 95 year old Mother in Law. She had a little sip and then said something like... "Oh, I don't like it. It taste to much like wine. I thought it would taste just like peach juice." Well, guess you can't please everyone.

Bill, what was the starting SG of your last peach wine?
When I make a batch I think I will be looking for a lower SG around 1.075 (I think) to then back sweeten to ~1.010

I think the lower ABV may pronounce the flavor and aroma, just thinking...

An aside... Seems most everyone who tried some liked my last peach wine except my soon to be 95 year old Mother in Law. She had a little sip and then said something like... "Oh, I don't like it. It taste to much like wine. I thought it would taste just like peach juice." Well, guess you can't please everyone.

That is hilarious!!! I have to admit I love the smell of the peaches when I'm preparing them for the wine and even as they start to ferment - Have to resist slurping down any of it. We have tried using the gross lees on ice cream - tastes good if you don't mind the yeast flavor - still plenty of alcohol in the lees for it to keep well too. Had some in the fridge for several months.

And now you've done it. I may have to go thaw out some of the extra peaches I set aside to make a Peach Smoothie.

Dumped my peaches in a bucket on friday, today went out and ripped the stones out (they were still cold and some still partially frozen) added pectic enzyme and a tablespoon of kmeta. Should pretty much be liquefied but Tuesday. Then I'll add my sugar and yeast.

Peach wine from 28 pounds of peaches and 20 sweet red cherries. (Trying to add a little color without going artificial or changing taste.)

Ok 3 1/2 weeks into it and about ready to rack again.

This is a comparison shot of my second batch of peach wine and the latest batch in process Color is significantly different at this point but will it hold or lighten. Judging by the color of the wine in the neck of the carboy (Which is smaller diameter of course so color should be lighter) and the color of the last batch I think there is chance the color will be a little deeper. If this works think I'll have to call this "Blushing Peach." There is also a back label to that bottle by the way with more info on the wine.

IMAG1352.jpg

Last edited:
Left mine in the bucket to long. Got busy and just got time to move it. Out of 2 bushels (approx 36 lbs each) no water added. I now have 7 gallons of peach wine and only had about 3 lbs of scraps.

Left mine in the bucket to long. Got busy and just got time to move it. Out of 2 bushels (approx 36 lbs each) no water added. I now have 7 gallons of peach wine and only had about 3 lbs of scraps.

So this equals to around 10lbs per gallon, did that really give you that ratio of pure juice with no water?

Q about freezing peaches (all stone fruits)

Froze mine with stones in them, thaw a bit and the pit will come right out.

When I freeze stone fruits for later eating (not wine) I have always blanched them (dip in boiling water for 30-50 seconds) to stop the ripening enzymes. Is this not necessary to use for wine, or do you all do this and this step is understood??

(The only fruit I have frozen without more prep has been tomatoes....)

"So this equals to around 10lbs per gallon, did that really give you that ratio of pure juice with no water?"

My latest batch was 4 gallons with 28 pounds and the only water I added was for my simple syrup. So with roughly 3 additional pounds per gallon he should have no problem

So this equals to around 10lbs per gallon, did that really give you that ratio of pure juice with no water?

Yep. I got a 6.5 gallon carboy and a 1 gallon jug. Neither are all the way full and I will have to rack off the sediment in a week or so so I should still end up with 5.5 to 6 gallons after clearing.

No I don't blanch them, I let them thaw partially and if they weren't falling apart I just ripped them apart and took the stones out.

Scored 24 pounds of peaches for $24.00. I'm figuring about 2-3 days to ripen before quartering, de-stoning and freezing.

IMAG0269[1].jpg

IMAG0270[1].jpg

IMAG0271[1].jpg

We'll see, we're vacationing in the DR and heading to Punta Cana tomorrow, we'll be back home Friday so maybe next weekend [emoji12]

We'll see, we're vacationing in the DR and heading to Punta Cana tomorrow, we'll be back home Friday so maybe next weekend [emoji12]

Did you take your son and daughter this time?

Latest posts

Back