Passionflower wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am definitely confirming anything I use. I understand that not all are edible.
Good for you.
Some are toxic, some are lethal. If I blindly tasted all the pretty flowers and colorful berries that caught my eye my wine making days would have been over long ago. Can't have that!

Bryan may be referring to my daisy fleabane incident. Chewed a flower and spit, my tongue got numb! I was sure it was edible. Double checking, the leaves are edible. If I made that mistake with some of my other flowers...yikes!

There are some good websites that give you details of how to identify an edible plant from a similar looking toxic plant. For example: Growing & Foraging Passionflower & Maypops (+ ways to use them!) - Unruly Gardening

You need to get into the description of the leaves, stems, and flowers. Once you idetify the plant you will have the latin name. Then you can do a second, more specific search for "Identifying genus species"

As @winemaker81 said you also need to pay attetion to which part(s) of the plant are edible. We love our fresh tomatoes, but the leaves and stems are poisonous.

Bryan may be referring to my daisy fleabane incident. Chewed a flower and spit, my tongue got numb! I was sure it was edible. Double checking, the leaves are edible. If I made that mistake with some of my other flowers...yikes!
Nope. IIRC, it was a common flower where 16 strains are edible and 4 are poisonous. I may be wrong on numbers, but your post reinforced my belief in "distrust and verify".

As @winemaker81 said you also need to pay attetion to which part(s) of the plant are edible. We love our fresh tomatoes, but the leaves and stems are poisonous.
Rhubarb where the stalks are edible but the leaves are poisonous.

Nope. IIRC, it was a common flower where 16 strains are edible and 4 are poisonous. I may be wrong on numbers, but your post reinforced my belief in "distrust and verify".

Rhubarb where the stalks are edible but the leaves are poisonous.
I had to look up IIRC,but in doing so shows I am trying to pay attention 😂

There are some good websites that give you details of how to identify an edible plant from a similar looking toxic plant. For example: Growing & Foraging Passionflower & Maypops (+ ways to use them!) - Unruly Gardening

You need to get into the description of the leaves, stems, and flowers. Once you idetify the plant you will have the latin name. Then you can do a second, more specific search for "Identifying genus species"

Thanks for sharing the maypop article. I have a tincture going already and now my interest is renewed to try making wine with the fruit. I’ve seen a few fruits already, but not ripe. Also might dry some flowers for tea.

Latest posts

Back